Rio Dulce and Livingston


Advertisement
Guatemala's flag
Central America Caribbean » Guatemala
November 22nd 2005
Published: November 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Rio DulceThe Rio DulceThe Rio Dulce

River boat ride!
OK! First off I want to apologize for taking so long to write a new update. Problems with the blog site prevented me from doing a big update days ago. I left Ryan on the 21st in San Pedro at Lago de Atitlan first thing in the morning. It wasn't the best goodbye because he had picked up some kind of stomache bug the night before so as I was leaving he was quite sick. Made sure everything was OK then headed off to the dock around 8am. Landed in Panajachel and shopped around for a ride to Guatemala city. Found a van, and stopped in Antigua en route. Got in Guatemala city 3 minutes before the next bus left for Rio Dulce, was in a bad place being in such a hurry, with no food etc. Fortunetaly after getting on that last bus many ladies boarded selling breads and chicken so I actually filled my belly and fell asleep. Arrived in Rio Dulce, it was dark at about 7pm. Walked around to see about getting passage to Livingston since I knew Jord was there. Nobody would take me up the lake/river at night time in fear of hitting something, just as well because I found a hostel, rested after a really long day and cleaned up. Woke up on the 22nd and hopped on a boat, saw some great stuff on the same tour Jord took the day prior, however I only went one way. Got to Livingston, wandered up, heard Jord yelling profanities at me from his rooftop, and we chatted for a bit then jumped right on another boat to head south. Landed in Puerto Varios and found a shady collectivo to the Honduran border. Check out, check in /another country gone.

Jumped on a lengthy chicken bus and collectivo all the way down to San Pedrosula. San Pedrosula was the scarriest place I had been yet, town full of crime, hookers, garbage, gunshots etc. etc. So we spent the night there in a cheap hotel. Actually it wasn't so much a hotel as a mental ward, in fact if truth be told it must have been an old mental hospital just based on the layout. Bad night, lost my bank card etc. etc.

Woke up at dawn to more garbage and headed to the bus depot, waited ages for our bus, had our packs on our lap the whole way, bridge was out so we detoured through these
mud roads going through banana farms, and finally made our way to La Ceiba and found our ferry. Waited hours for the ferry but ended up landing in Utila! Hooray!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 29; qc: 123; dbt: 0.1779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb