chichi...salsa...tortillas


Advertisement

hola amigos! i just logged on to post some pictures. hope you enjoy them.

sunday we had a "school trip" to chichicastenango for the native mayan market. it is one of the largest markets in the mayan area. for more info visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichicastenango. it was a bit crazy...lots of people...lots of energy....lots of textiles and crafts. i enjoyed it, but i tend to get a bit suffocated in large crowds. it was a chilly day in chichi, so a few of us took a break from the crowd and sat in an open air coffee shop with warm beverages. i enjoyed the view of the market from this perspective. we were cozy and spacious in the coffee shop, yet the energy of the market was surrounding us.

later on sunday night we played pub trivia...our group came in fourth place...we only lost by two points. damn...we could of had free beers 😉

san pedro spanish school has activities for the students on most days. tuesday nights are salsa nights. i´m not too keen on dancing, but i love salsa....it is so sensual. i think with some more practice i could be good. but the lessons held at the school won´t take me too far since they only cover the basics...over and over and over again.

tonight we have cooking lessons....we learn to make mayan foods. yum! but i am a step ahead...i have fallen in love with the tortillas here and was telling my house mother (cecilia) that i must learn how to make them before i return to the US. so she has arranged for me to learn. in a half an hour i will be going to Cecilia´s friends house to learn to make them. we will spend a half hour learning a half hour eating and then i go to spanish school. my classes are from 2 until 6, monday thru friday.

the school has arranged for a trek up one of the mountains surrounding the lake on saturday. this will give us an unobstructed view of the entire lake...so i should have some good photos to post. saturday evening, alejandro is coming to visit san pedro. he has never been to san pedro, although he´s lived in antigua his entire life. he has visited many other countries in the world but never san pedro. similar to me having never done more than drive through washington, dc. i'm curious as to what his experience of san pedro will be like.....

time to post some pics and then i'm off to make tortillas 😊

~hugs~


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th July 2006

tortillas
Are they the CORN tortillas? if they are, you will have to teach me too!! they are wonderful!!! we used to put a little butter and salt on them (when they are a day or two old) and put them in the oven for a couple minutes -- and what a snack!!! Out of this world!! if I wasnt envious before, i sure am now!!!! Keep trekkin!
19th July 2006

Cool!
Sounds like you are having lots of fun!!! Good luck with the tortillas tonight - maybe you can make them for me and Rachie when you get home! :) Can't wait to see more pics!!!
20th July 2006

More Pix of Suz!!!!
Hey Mama, I love seeing pix of you since I am having severe miss attacks and enjoy seeing your face so much. San Pedro looks beautiful and so do you!!!! Tortillas Rock!!

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0996s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb