Lake Atitlan


Advertisement
Published: December 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hello friends and family!! thanks for tuning in again for the adventures of shane and emo. I (shane) had been to beautiful lake atitlan 5 years ago and knew it was well worth seeing again despite the twisting, winding, indy car dreaming, cattle dodging 2 hour bus ride that was involved. the view out the window the entire way is breathtaking..most of that breath being taken as we careen dangerously close to the 500 foot straight down embankments. now, i am not one to get car sick but this is will test the stomach of any battle hardened travel vet... or it just makes me feel better to think so. lake atitlan is a magnificent body of water surrounded by 3 large volcanoes and dotted by small towns and settlements along the edges. we were only able to putt-putt around the lake by small taxi boat and decided on san pedro as the small town to find housing. we came upon a great little hotel with a view for 7 bucks a night which included a little hammock on the balcony...much loved by us. the surrounding jungle was a must to explore so we saddled up our backsides to some caballos (horses). this was a much better experience for me versus the glue factory pedigree i was forced to drag on the shores of puerto vallarta a couple years back. my little horse gently introduced me to galloping, climbing, trotting and numerous tree branches along the 3 hour trip. emo on the other hand took control of the whole trek and looked like joan of arc atop her proud stallion conquering another land. the last point in the trail opened up to a great little beach to relax on while the horses were tied up to rest and make fun of me. the remaining time here was filled with beach side dining and tiresome act of hanging in a hammock.
knowing our schedule to make it to costa rica by new years was getting tight we had to leave this beautiful place. enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



27th December 2006

Wow
Wow - this place looks amazing! I am so glad we can live vicariously through you on your journey!
27th December 2006

4-H paid off
Hi Erin and Shane. Glad to know Erin remembered everything she learned about horses in 4-H! Shane...remind me to show you pics of the little cowgirl sometime! Looks like you two are having a wonderful time.....just like you deserve! Your travel blogs are fantastic.....thanks for updating them. It is fun to see where you are traveling and hear some of the fun details. We missed you both at Christmas. Salmon coffee wasn't the same without Shane. love, mom
27th December 2006

Great Pics
Just a quick shout, great pics - looks awesome. Portland was wet and rainy for Xmas, but I dig P-town. I know you will have un bune ano nuevo.
27th December 2006

Volcanoes! sounds dangerous. You guys really should come back. Really...I mean, I hear you can get bed sores from laying in a hammock too long. And those horses looked like they were up to something. Same with the banana bread girl. No. I don't like it. Not one bit. Best you guys head back to seattle.
27th December 2006

great travel log
i asked melody to forward this to me sounds and looks like you are having a wonderful time.i missed you at christmas.i look forward to seeing more of the blog grampa and buddy
28th December 2006

Memories
Hi guys, great stuff, memories of a life. It reminds me of my world travels which seems oh so long ago. Keep it coming. Is Australia in the travel plans?
2nd January 2007

Santa...uh Jennie.....Kris Krinkle.....nice scarf
Hey kids.....thanks for the scarf! I feel oh so cool now! Can't believe you....ha...who am I kidding...Erin can always get anything done....managed to have a present delivered via a bellinghamster....and even during the holiday season! LOVED the picture/card with cute BABIES hint, hint, hint......maybe next year for Christmas! ILY
18th March 2007

breathtaking
One day I will go there and you will read my blog:)

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb