Laguna Chicabal


Advertisement
Published: March 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last week, one of the teacher at my Spanish school suggested that we visited Laguna Chicabal on Saturday. She is a "woman of a certain age" which lulled me into thinking that the hike up and down to the laguna would be relatively easy. WRONG.
Well, it was not that bad but my body is not made for hiking, that much I know for sure. The hike took about 2 hours until the mirador. The view was worth it. Then down nearly 600 steps to the sacred lake. That was a very nice part.. It is forbidden to swim in the lake which is in the crater of Chacabal volcano and is very sacred to the Mayans.
There were many Mayans there praying to their and our God. The lake is surrounded by Altars and in many places people have left flowers and even some crosses. Very moving.
It is easy to walk around the lake and it is beautiful. The view changes every 5 minutes with clouds and fog drifting in and out. Well worth the hike.
Coming back was more arduous. It is easier to walk down 600 steps than to go back up. Still, it had to be done. I needed a shower and a siesta.
Went for supper with Helene since it was her last day in Xela. It was fun having her around.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb