Day 17 – Panajachel / Lake Atitlan


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


PaintingsPaintingsPaintings

Paintings in art shop
I got up early to try breakfast at one of the restaurants in Panajachel. I had the most delicious pancakes with some fruit. Panajachel has lots of nice eating places, bars and street food. It’s definitely a good place to stay if you want to see Lake Atitlan.

After breakfast, the whole group got together and we went on this speed boat and crossed Lake Atitlan to visit a small popular village called San Juan, this was a great experience when travelling over the lake, as you get to see the volcano/mountain scenery and local people collecting pond weed from their boats.

Once we got to the other side of the lake, we were greeted by a local tour guide who showed us around San Juan. We first visited an art shop where they had loads of cool paintings on canvases, mainly of Lake Atitlan. I brought one of these paintings and they kindly removed the painting from the canvas and wrapped it up for me to take home. We then went to see some locals who made things from cotton and saw the equipment they used and all the steps that went into making items out of cotton.
Men collecting pond weedMen collecting pond weedMen collecting pond weed

Men collecting pond weed
We then went and saw a local who grew lots of herbs in the garden for medicines. After this, we had lunch with a local family. The food was nice but unfortunately the chicken was on the bone and I don’t like it that way.

After we had food, we had to get back on the boat and head back to Panachel to get our bus to take us to Antigua.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Me with Lake AtitlanMe with Lake Atitlan
Me with Lake Atitlan

Me with Lake Atitlan
Equipment used for cottonEquipment used for cotton
Equipment used for cotton

Equipment used for cotton
Cotton Shawls/ScarfsCotton Shawls/Scarfs
Cotton Shawls/Scarfs

Cotton Shawls/Scarfs
Lady collecting cottonLady collecting cotton
Lady collecting cotton

Lady collecting cotton


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 35; qc: 139; dbt: 0.1387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb