Lake Atitlan boat trip


Advertisement
Published: January 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The group all went on the boat trip, nice early start (except Michelle as ill). We had a breakfast stop in an amazing place. Would love to come back and stay here. It was called Hotel la Casa, he views were amazing, the food divine... It was a great start to the day. We then went onto Santiago Atitlan, went to the church. Here we had another odd experience. We went to visit Maximon, their god that looks after them. He resides in different houses and you can go any give him rum and cigarettes... He is a wooden statue that they dress, changing these weekly, and there are saints and his father living in the same house as him where ever that may be!!! Weird... But good money making scheme as you have to pay to take photos so helps those who own the house get some money!

Wandered around the locals market. It was great not being hassled for once. Aimee bought some really nice fabriic - bed throw. Was gorgeous. Josh got some proper shorts and more mayan clothes. He´s great!! After we wandered around we went to the smallest village around the lake San Antonio Palopo just to see how they lived. Here they make all the ceramics, which were lovely but too hard to bring back.

Got back to Panajachel for a late lunch and a wander around town. Ordered a milk chocolate with Amy - It was yucky so didn´t drink it :-( Missing milk (and cereal. Though hot weather good. Got a little bit burnt today. We´re up high so thought it would be cool. It wasn´t... Oops!

Lazily got ready for dinner. Best day ever this - got a Tuk Tuk to dinner!! Awesome!!! Went to a lovely pizza place that Josh had booked. Was lovely. Heather got a bit drunk and dragged us all dancing in some dodgy club full of 12 year olds. Was entertaining. Got a tuk tuk home :-)

Good day

Advertisement



9th January 2009

Great Journey Journal
Happy New year ( and you're obviously having just that). Just been catching up on your blog. It's very cool that you've kept it up and intertesting too. The caves sounded amazing, not good if your claustrophobic or a hygiene nut. Take it easy...

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb