Guatemalan forest


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

we finally made it out of belize. we left a day earlier than we thought we would stay there. too hot, too humid and our stomachs could not handdle the caribbean food any longer. so, we began our return to guate. again, a long bus ride and two boat trips back to puerto barrios. you all know how i feel about puerto barrios, so we bounced right when we got to the port. we got on the road at about 2pm and we had not even had breakfast yet. our next destination was a place called salama in guate, a six hour drive. however, we had to stop and sleep in a small town called rio hondo cause we hungry, tired and it was getting dark. the next morning we had a great guatemalan breakfast and then hit the road again. 3 hours and a unplanned detour later, we got to the forest in salama. it was cool, foggy and about to rain. we go there at around noon and hiked for a while along a river. i fell in the river trying to hop on rocks. marla was wearing hicking sandals so she got mud up to her anckles, but it was great and we loved it. on the way back we met a older man who talked to us for an hour about the quetzal while we had dinner. he invited us to his property the next morning to watch queztals eat. the next morning we got up at 5am to go quetzal watching. it was pouring so we thought we would not be able to see any, but we did. we were so excited when we finally saw one fly from one tree top the another! so beautiful, we didnt even care that we were getting pounded by rain. then, we saw more for about an hour. it was the highlight of my trip for sure. we then had warm breakfast in the old mans house, outside on his patio while it rained. anyway, our stay in the forest was cool. we stayed in a cabin on stilts in the middle of the forest above tree tops. the cabin had two huge, floor to cealing picture windows looking out into the forest and it rained all night long. it was amazing. we did, however had an incident when a huge wasp came into our room. we spent a good hour trying to kill it. quite comical, actually. picture me and marla with towels in our hands swatting away at anything that moved, missing and getting frustrated. we finally conquered the bug and claimed the cabin all ours. well, off to Antigua guatemala tomorrow. one.

Advertisement



15th August 2007

what yall bumpin

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb