Flores - Tikal - Rio Dulce - Livingston


Advertisement
Published: September 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Trekking the Pyramids of Tikal





4 leave Antigua at 8am for Northern Guatemala to Flores to trek the pyramids in Tikal, arrived in Flores to Los Amigos Hostel (25 Quetzals a night) at 5pm the bus cost 75 Quetzals (E7.50) Karen & I were up at 3am to catch a bus to Tikal and watch sunrise at the top of one of the pyramids, (the boys wanted to party that night so we went alone) another reality check.......sitting on to of a pyramid in darkness ...waiting in silence for an hour.....listening to Howler monkeys in Guatemala..??????? LOL!!

The pyramids were amazing, climbed to the top of 2 of the pyramids with a girl that was 6 months pregnant!!! and climbing them wasn´t easy...apparently there were jaguars there but the guide said it´s very rear to see them. The Mayan ruins were unbelievable, this was our first time to see the ruins as we didnt go to Palenque or Tulum, they are being restored at the moment here in Tikal.


Our last night in Tikal so there was 12 of us that went out for dinner (The Last Supper) as we were finally saying

Goodbye

later on 4 of us ended up at the local disco called

Mi Disco

....commical is all I will say, walked in and there was a dance floor that was like the floor out of thriller in the Michael Jackson video, it was like we were gate crashing a wedding! everyone sitting around on plactic tables and chairs and the dj was a stereo!! It was so funny,

Karen & I left for Rio Dulce the next morning, getting off the bus was soo daunting as the main strip was not nice, very dirty and over run with taky markets and traffic, we noticed a hostel across the road called Brunos so went to check it out, just off the main strip leading down to the river was such a different place, lots of Yaughts....was like being in Cross Haven on Ford week all over again, Rio D is very American as thats where they have all they boats docked all year round, the owner was American, the hostel had a restaurant and a pool, the rooms were mediocre, although we did get a 4 bed dorm with bathroom to our selves all for USD3.50 per night. Weather was fantastic, nearly too hot to sit out in. Met this incredible Spanish family that are from Valencia, Grace, I´ve never met such a happy family.

Across the road from Brunos there was a disco so decided to check it out, they play nothing but RAGGATON here and I have to say I love it, there were some serious charachters in there, a mix of Mums and Grandads, young and old, wives coming in to see their hubbies giving it large on the dance floor, it was a pretty good night in all.

The next morning we went on one of the boat cruises up the river to Livingston, I was DYING!!! it was so senic though, canyons, hot water pools, little villages in the middle of nowhere...amazing! Livingston was real carribean Island, with lots of Rastas, seriously chilled out, HOT HOT HOT! lots of nice markets, bars, restaurants, hair braiding, I would have liked to have spent a night or 2 there but we have a flight on the 1st of October from Panama to Peru and our destination is Costa Rica for a week, so Livingston was a day trip.


Next Stop...trying to get to Costa Rica, hoping to go direct but we didnt want to go to Guata City so decided to take tips and local colectivos across the border....

TIP

DONT TRAVEL ON A SUNDAY IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....
















Advertisement



26th September 2006

What a life!!!
Hi B, it is great to have updates from your travels. The pics are fab!!! keep sending them. Let me know when you are going to Brazil. Tchau amiga! Jo

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb