Panama Canal Transit 5


Advertisement
Published: January 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

January 22. Guatemala



It sounded perfect. Ride a tour bus to Antigua, the colonial capital and a UN historical site. The ride was 1 1/2 hrs and we got a glimpse of the countryside and the way the locals live. This is a very poor country and the houses reflect the reality.



Antigua is nestled between volcanos, one of which is active, and is at 5,000' altitude. We expected the bright sun and moderate temps. What surprised us was the chilly breeze from the north. All of Central America has been experiencing cooler than normal temps.



It's Sunday and what we didn't know is the the Capital seems to empty, everyone heading to Antigua for Mass and visiting. The first thing we notice is the traffic, the second is the street vendors. Costumed in traditional dress they converge on the bus selling blankets and beads and whatnot. The third thing we noticed is that the streets and sidewalks are cobblestone and window frames protrude head high over the sidewalk making our afternoon stroll a challenging undertaking.



We were told there were five "must sees" and we managed four. We carefully walked toward the Arch, a must see and followed the map provided. Unfortunately, the street names on the streets did not match the names on the map. After getting lost yet seeing some interesting architecture we retraced our steps. We discovered a street that was closed to cars and ran the gauntlet of venders to surprising arrive at the Arch. Directly behind was Our Lady of Mercy church, another must see. Another cluster of vendors blocked the entrance to the church but we carefully made our way through. After touring the churches in Spain and France, Italy and Greece I was underwhelmed, but maybe I was just hot and tired. We really wanted to stop for a bite what were wary as we had been warned off because of bacteria in the water.



We followed the pedestrian street in the opposite direction and found the Plaza that contained the third sight, The Fountain of the Lactating Mermaids. The story behind this fountain is long and involved but if any one is interested, give me a call when I get home. By now we were so done with Antigua. We returned to our pickup point, the Jade Museum, and learned a bit about jade, where it is found and the different types and colors. ML found a nice pair of earrings while I sat and waited for the bus. When it arrived we had to almost fight our way on for the crowds of vendors.



Just as we were settling down for the ride home the bus blew a tire and we had to wait for a replacement. The air conditioner was blasting cold air and I sorely wished I had bought a few of the Mayan blankets.



On a weekday with a tour group we probably would have enjoyed the visit. The way we did it, not so much.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb