La quema del Diablo


Advertisement
Published: December 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Last night we set fire to the Devil - "La quema del Diablo" - where an effigy is doused in paraffin, filled with fireworks, and then set on fire. Well, not just us - it seemed as though the whole population of Antigua was there. All very good-natured but crushed in together. Lots of local food, including sweet corn-fritters served with honey, the always-present fried chicken, roasted sweetcorn, and indeterminate sweet stuff. The Devil had been sent on his way as soon as it got dark, so we strolled back through the Plaza Major where all the trees were festooned with lights - very pretty! Then to Rainbow Cafe for mojitos - 4 mojitos and still had change from a fiver - excellent!
December is a great month to be here, as it's filled with fiestas. Last night started the Christmas season, today there was a procession in national dress in honour of the Immaculate Conception and the 12th has more processions (mostly children, this time) in honour of the Virgin of Guadaloupe - very popular here. Spanish continues, with our ever-patient teacher Carola, and she says we are getting better, although sometimes we wonder! It's reassuring to find other students at our level struggling with verbos irregular.
On Friday we're going to a macademia nut farm (Mary's favourite nuts) on a local 'chicken bus' and we'll blog about our first live volcano climb after the weekend. Until then, hasta luego! Mary & Bob


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



8th December 2010

I feel so much better knowing that ole diablo is gone! Ole!
9th December 2010

Nice blog!
I just got the link to your travel blog from Caro...what fun to live vicariously! Keep it up, you two!
9th December 2010

devil-free
I wonder if there's a connection with Guy Fawkes and the burning of the devil? Sounds like a great spectacle. Xxx.
17th December 2010
Christmas decorations

great pics!
I am enjoying your photos...keep it up!
30th January 2011

My kids miss that yearly event, even the asthma-proned one. So much for the environment...the skys turn black that night with smoke!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb