Antigua & Volcan Pacaya


Advertisement
Published: January 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Video at the top of Volcan Pacaya! 59 secs
Got home early early morning on the 30th, but wanted to write about the last adventure Ashley and I had.

Spent two days in the cute small town of Antigua - a colonial town with beautiful landscape all around, a couple huge markets to shop in, pretty churches. We had a veeeery kind couchsurfer, Luis, who helped us out a lot and made sure we were taken care of.

On our last day, we climbed an active volcano!! They don't tell you before how difficult it's actually going to be... let's just say it was a HIKE! The beginning is like any regular hill with brown dirt and green trees. Then you get to a kind of "sandy" part where you take 2 steps up and 1 step back and it feels like you're running in sand dunes. Next comes the rocky part of old volcanic rocks and ash. Lastly, at the top, the rocks are so jagged and it is so incredibly windy that it takes all you've got just to take a step and not fall over. However, when you reach the moving lava, it's definitely worth all that work! You can feel the heat coming off the rocks though it's still a bit chilly with the wind. But when you stand right next to the flowing lava, it burns your skin.

That's all for Central America! Next adventure is volunteering in Tijuana, Mexico for about 6 months starting at the end of January. I'll try to update once in awhile with the interesting stories :-) Thanks for listening/reading!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

View from the topView from the top
View from the top

There are two other mountains nearby and lots of greenery to see.
Next to the start of the flowNext to the start of the flow
Next to the start of the flow

Trying not to get blown in and at the same time protecting my face from getting burned.


Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0952s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb