Antigua


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Antigua was a bit of a Gautamalian Disney Land, as I hardly saw any real Gautamalians and the palce is filled with foreign language students. So didn´t use my Spanish really, which was a shame. There are a lot of travellers there, so we got to go out a lot and just enjoy meeting people. It is a beautiful city, so when the sun was shining, we spent a lot of time walking around, taking in the pretty architecture and atmosphere of the place. It is very colonial looking, with a lot of Spanish influences, so has quite a few beautiful, but delipadated catherdrals.

The main square, zocola, was lovely for sitting in as it was filled with trees, fountains and benches, and a perfect place to people watch. It felt like we spent most of Antigua just walking around.

We did climb Pacaya, an active volcano, which was quite exciting and very different from anything we have done before. It was pleasant walk up, with pretty views and lush vegetation. Once we neared the top, the groud started to resemble that of what I though a volcano would look like. It was hardened lava which was black and shiny. When we got closer to the mouth the ground started to feel hot, and every so often you would get a gush of hot air.

We finally reached some red hot lava, though it was visible through the rocks, the heat was extremely intense. We brought marshmellows and set about roasting them, but could only lean close enough to do it for a short period as it was so hot. At one point the wind picked up and blew hot air in our direction, and poor Lizzie managed to get a ´lava´burn resembling a sun burn.

We left the cosmopolitan Antigua and moved onto Lake Atitlan and the pretty village of San Pedro.



Advertisement



17th August 2008

All the fun and more
Hi Little Pilavachi Seems you are having a good time. I have just printed out a batch of blogs for Yaya so that she can read the exploits of the intrepid explorer! Miss you lots and can't wait for Christmas! LoL (that's lots of love, not laugh out loud!)
18th August 2008

Wizard of Mexoz
Just finished downloading ALL your blogs. Too great for words. How can it possibly be that little Ellie can do all this. We are so proud of you. See you soon U. Donny and A. Fran

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb