lanquin


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Laquin ended up being an amazing place to jsut hang out and meet other travels and generally enjoy doing nothjing. We stayed for 4 nights, after planning to spend just one, we ended up having an amazing time.

We viste Semuc Champey, where we went on a tour organised thru the hostel. But it was defintely worth it and couldn´t never have ahd the same experience without our guiides.

We arrived at the caves and we astounded by the beautiful surrounds of forested hills, huge river and pretty waterfalls. Before we explored the caves we go to play in the river. In fact the whole day constited of playing. We went on this massive swing over the river and then mid flight would jump off, trying to land as gracefully as possible. I naturally screamed like a girl and second tiem round managed a belly flop', which i still have bruises from. Graceful and elegant as usual!

Exploring the caves was very interesting. For one thing we were given candles, which made it feel like u were actually exploring as opposed to being guided around. We two guides, who spoke no english or spanish and rather jsut pushed into the right direction and u hoped u understood. The candles created a very eary light, which made all the bats flying around that much creepier. it would have been a really wonderful atmosphere if not for a bunch of shouting Iraelis and screaming Dutch girls. But still very cool.

The candles became more difficult when we had to swim, and a few people just gave up and lost theirs. The health and safety was a bit different from home, as you can imagine, no helmet or lights, climbing up slippery rocks and swimming though rough currents. But this only made the whole thing more fun.

The end of the journey was made by being pushed through a waterfall, where u had to hold on for dear life to a rope and try not to be pushed into the river that was flowing underneath you. It was amazing, and such an adrenaline rush.

After the caves we went tubing in the river, which is really relaxing as you just float along, until you need to get to the bank. In my pure brilliance I thought I would get off and swim across. Stupidly didn´t overestimated my swimming ability in comparison to the strong current. Consequently I ended up about 40 metres past everyone else.

We then walked to Semuch Champey, these stunning cascades formed by a river between forested hills. Before we got there we past over a bridge, and as we discovered as the afternoon went on, if there is something near water that you can jump off, Elly and Lizzie will jump off it. It was amazing, and terrifying as the river was really far from the bridge and huge.

Before we plunged into the crystal blue waters of semuc we hiked up to the Mirador - a viewing pioint from which you could see the river flowing and forming the pools. It was well worth the sweaty 40 minute uphill hike to get there, and made plunging into the water that much sweeter.

There were about 20 different pools of varying sizes, and all a stunning blue. We discovered that you could climb up the side of a gorge on one side and dive into the water, so our adrenaline addiction continued to be met and we climbed higher and higher, attempting graceful dives.

The whole experience reminded me of a water park, except for adults, and we loved playing like kids.

Besides eating, and hanging out at El REtiro we spent one afternoon tubing down the Lanquin river. Whcih was more difficult that it looked as you had to dodge the trees leaning into the water and any other obstacles. My driving skills in a inner tube are not what they could be needless to say, and I got cauight up in the branches of trees quite a few times.

We also caught sight of an alligator, which was more opportunity for me to scream and flay around as I had images of it biting me on my rear that was protruding nicely into the water! The guys than thought it hugely funny to keep scaring me with shouts that I was near another one.

Our afternoon of river fun came to a close with me sunbathing by the river bank. One of the guys thought that this was a perfect opportunity to smear my torso with mud, and needless to say a fall blwon mud fight started. Lizzie tried to escape, but as she sat quietly on anear by bench pristine in her bikini, there was no way I was letting her stay clean.

It was hilarious, and as I caught the image of myslef running after Lizzie wiht handfuls of sloppy mud and all 10 of us being covered head to tow in sticky mud, I could have wet myself with laughter. The guys had no mercy for us girls, and I still think I have mud deep in the my hair somewhere. Our bikins will also never be the same.

Anyway we have finished our few days of being kids, and are now in the beautiful Antigua, where I have to abondon wearing only a bikini and walk amoung non travellers and adult types. We think we will be here a while and are really excited about climbing a live volcano in the nest few days!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb