Finally he surfs


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

2 months, a 1 hour taxi journey, a 12 hour bus journey, overnight in San Salvador, a 2 hour chicken bus and finally Nick surfs!

As the transport strike in Nicaragua was still in full swing, and the locals getting more extreme, we decided it was time to leave...dissappointed not to have seen everything the country had to offer, but we were still happy enough to be leaving the heat behind us. We could have headed south to costa rica, but we had heard it was much harder to get transport to and through the border than to elsewhere within the country. So we took a shuttle back to Granada, apparently the locals had threatened our driver on the way to pick us up, and told him they were going to be watching out for him on the way out...much to our disapointment they werent there on the way back...Nick was warming up his muscles and everything..and i had my mobile out ready to video it all and sell it to the press!

So, from Granada it was a very long day to reach San Salvador (El Salvador). But when we arrived i still managed to persuade Nick to go the shopping mall...its the biggest in the central america :o) From the capital, we decided enough was enough...and headed to the surfing beach of El Zonte.

As you all know Nick has been waiting weeks for this moment, but even he let out a small wimper as he saw the size of the waves for the first time. I was fully expecting him to find suitable reasons not to give it a go. I´d already came up with enough excuses not to even get in the water. Honestly...it seemed quite foolish to me. The waves were fierce and the effort these guys had to put in just to get out past the white water to the best bits...only to have to turn around, spring up on to your board and attempt to manouvre yourself back to the shallows, then turn around and do it all again... no wonder they were all so toned ;o) I didnt realise it was so hard. I bought a rash vest in england and everything in anticipation of having a go...which Nick told me i wasnt allowed to wear if i wasnt going in the water.

I made full use of the cafe on the beach over looking the waves... and spent hours watching. Some people couldnt even get past the white water, so i felt slightly nervous when Nick came back to tell me he had his lesson booked for 5pm that day. With a particularly buffed looking El Salvadorian called Alex, Nick went off to face his fate. I will leave him to update you about the lesson, and we do have photographic evidence, which will be updated later. It was a great four days, and after a tough couple of weeks, things are all good and back on track...having fun, and not sweating quite so much.

We have decided we are going to spend our last couple of months in Mexico, hopefully rent an apartment on a beach, where handy for Nick, is some of the best surfing around. So at the moment we are back in Guetamala, as there are couple of things we want to do before we head in to Mexico. Oh and its the Champions League Final on Wednesday and we have project planned to perfection...and shall be watching it from a sports bar called Reds...

Thats it from me.

Much love Tracey xx





Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb