Beach Heaven


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Bout chuffin´ time too i say!
Kelly Slater i am not, but boo ya, it was awesome and i cant wait for doing it everyday for a few months, even though i did solve rising sea level problems by drinking most of the Pacific...

The real reason for leaving Nica was that i couldnt eat any more Chicken Subways, too much of a good think is a bad thing. Was gutted it didnt work out down there, and i wondered what i had done so wrong to get so much bad karma at the same time, it must be something i dont remember.

Funiest thing to hapen in Nica. Paying for a bottle of water, the cashier not having any change, and buying me off with Clorets. Hope she wasnt hinting....

San Salvador, not as bad as i had thought, reckoned on it being like the Honduran capital, but not a bit of it. yeah, lots of poverty, yeah, polluted, but it seems all cities are like that, just look at L.A.
With hindsight, we would have gone straight to Salvador from Guatemala and spent our money there instead of titting around getting down to Nicaragua, it was beautiful. But, we had an easy and fairly cheap way to get back to Guatemala, so we took it - i am just too big for chicken buses, my old creaky knees suffer so! ........Especialy when you nip to town to use then web and get cash real quick and it ends up taking 3 hours and your soaked thru with sweat from just having sat on them waiting for sooooo bloody long! I dont get it either, the guys get on, all sellin gthe same sweets or fruit, and yet even the 8th or 9th person can still make a sale from someone who has just sat watching for 20 minutes. Perhaps they have theyre favourites????! Two people got on with guitars, and i was ready to do one and walk back, but thankfully they were just passengers, and know wailing ensued. Least there were no clown entertainers in Salvador, they scare the bejeesus out of me, especially when you have no idea what is going on, yeah my Spanish has got ok, but not that ok!

Talking of which, the buses in Salvador are proper growlers, from where we were staying in El Zonte, you could hear them coming down the coastal road, and you look to the sky expecting to see helicopters, but no, just a bus.

Another intersting thing, i saw two guys in el zonte, one with a ginger fro, and one with ginger dreads...both pretty good surfers as well, wonder if they were brothers....

Beaches are just sand and waves, but they aint half inspiring and relaxing, especially when you can watch the moonlight shimmering of 6ft surf with a beer, all seems pretty good.

Think my fave time of day has changed from the morning to late afternoon, the quality of light here is phenomenal, and the enchanting smells you come across when driving through countryside, it just so dern fresh. Think it may be a Gautemalan thing. El Salvador was green, beautiful, but as soon as the border was crossed (first border with not a gun in sight, whhhooooooo!) the light appeared infused with a green hue radiating from the ground, misty, but not unclear.

Its funny, you often forget where you are, or what your doing, just zone out, but then sometime on a bus a sudden moment of realisation hits you, things seem so clear and alive it becomes surreal, like a live action flick that cuts into a cartoon ala Roger Rabbit. Especially on chicken buses!

Not a lot of chance to zone out on our shuttle to Antigua though, we were flying, the driver was the fastest minibus driver in the world. Coupled with his latin sea shanty-esque music with singing which sounded like the death throws of a deaf person, it was quite horrific, but it was survived. it just means when i get back as well as spending days watching decent films, i have to sit in front of my stereo and flush out the rot that is swimming around in my head!

Another thought, got stared at alot in El Salvador, i am trying to work out if its cos i am a gringo or cos i was swimming in my own sweat?? Didnt sweat all the time tho, so it must be the former, tis an odd feeling, not intimidating, just, well just unused to it i spose, you sort of blend into to the tapestry in white countries.

Lucntime in Antigua now, mmm, instant noodles, a feast fit for a king.... a king who´s treasure is running out....!

adios amigos.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb