The crazy weekend...


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, I have been in the lovely country for 1 month and 1 day exactly. It feel like ive been here for so long, but at the same time, its like i just got here. These past couple weeks have been great, even though its rained every afternoon. Which does not go well with dirt floors in the school, and leaks where roofs are. But still its great. Last weekend I went to Lake Attilan which was beautiful. It was a fairly interesting weekend. It started out great, we biked for a couple hours after stopping for an amazing lunch with a veiw of the lake. THe bike was really fun....down hill and curvey..kind of like riding a roller coaster. Then we arrived in the town of Panachel (or spelled somthing similar), and had to take a boat to our hotel. Well...i was kind of expecting a ferry type thing. But nope..it was a small wooden dingy with a moter and platic top. Halfway there it started pouring rain. even with a cover we were getting quite wet. And if you managed to stay dry on the boat (which i kind of did), it didnt matter because the second we steped onto the dock and ran up the millions of steep steps to the hotel, you were drenched. So that was not to much fun. But the we went to our rooms, I was sharing with Emma and another Irish volunteer Aideen, and we had a really nice room. I think it was a honeymoon sweet. Nice view without the rain. Anyways, it was really excititng because there were HOT powerful showers, somthing i have not had for a month. I showered about 3 times that weekend. So being stuck in a small hotel room, pouring rain, tired and having to wait for an hour for dinner, we decided we needed to indulge in the bottle of wine we brought. Unfortunatly we did not have a bottle opener. But thats oaky because emma used her skills and pushed the cork into the bottle with a pen. It was great. We only had 2 classes in the room, so Em drank hers from a jug. It was quite ladylike. Then we had a fairly good dinner.....with many courses..i cant remember what we ate though. There were 7 of us plus our guide, so after we just hung out in one of the girls rooms and talked. Everyone decided to go to bed at 10 ish. So...emma aideen and I headed to our room, put on our bikinis and headed out into the rain in search of the hottub (which technically i dont know if we were supposed to use....) after 15 of going up and down the same stairs we found it...and it was just slightly warm. But luckily is was stove heated- so we found some wood and turned the few embers into a nice little fire. It was so fun because by then it had stopped raining and we had a view of the lake (even in the dark). Sunday morning, we woke up and it was beautiful. Emma and Aideen convinced me to go swimming at 7 am. Im so happy i did because the water was fairly warm and it was so clear. About teh only part of the day that was. So after the refreshing swim we headed up to a great breakfast, and then got ready for kayaking. It started out amazing...it was so hot, and Emma and I were proving what a great country Canada is with our sweet kayaking skills (we kicked the UK´s arse). Theeenn the weather decided to get a bit mean...kinda rough and cloudy. With some wind. But even in the cold we still wanted to go cliff jumping! Soo out we hopped into the cold water and swam to this cliff..which was about 25 feet, and really hard to climb. Almost impossible. But as soon as i got to the top, i freaked out and REALLY did not want to jump. Eventually i did... with my limbs gong in every direction, but it was still really awesome. After that we were supposed to go on a hike back to the hotel, But since i was freezing and thought it was going to rain, Ashling, Aideen and I just took the boat back with the kayaks, while our guide took Emma, Sarah adn Mandy on the apparently steep and slippery hike back. Im pretty happy that i didnt go because it started to rain about 2 seconds afer we were in teh boat. But the girls had a gerat time so thats good. After that Aideen started getting sick, and just went down hill. A couple hours later she was a halluncinating, freaking out, talking gibberish adn not letting anyone else talk to here. Taking her back to Antigua in a van for 3 hours down a windy road was not to fun. She ended up spending 2 daysin the hospital because of extreme dehydration and a intestinal infection..turns out she had an amiba. Shes all better now after taking the week off, but is very careful with what she eats. So overall it was a very eventful weekend, and this weekend moast ppl stayed in antigua to just relax. So it was very nice. Sorry mom that i didnt add picture. Forgot the camera cord, but that is my mission for next week! Hope all is well with everyone and i would love to here from ppl!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb