Antigua


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

precarious trinkets in Antigua marketprecarious trinkets in Antigua marketprecarious trinkets in Antigua market

looked like if we got any closer they'd all fall down...
As i left off in my last blog, we made it to Antigua in one piece. What a journey that was!

Antigua is an absolutely beautiful city. It's got loads of ruined churches and old buildings with tons of character (earthquakes have their way with the city occasionally). We spent a couple days getting lost among the cracked facades, crazy markets and cobbled streets. Alison, Jade, Cara and myself got along really well. We partied it up a few nights, and were all great roomates - despite the fact that we were in the smallest room EVER. There were 4 bunk beds (8 people) with only the floor space in the middle for backpacks and whatnot - tight squeeze! Aside from the city of Antigua itself, the volcano Pacaya - about an hour and a half from the city - was amazing. We hiked up, up, and up...and finally got to the volcanic part. And man, was it ever Volcanic!! (How descriptive, I know - but seriously...how else do you describe it!) We got to this look out spot where we could see huuuuge flows of lava. And then, we realized there were people way up there...and then, we
The smallest room yet.The smallest room yet.The smallest room yet.

with 8 people and all their stuff
realized WE were going up there as well! I tell ya, some of these 'tours' they've got goin on down here would NOT fly in North America. Anyway, we got so close to the lava flows that we were roasting marshmellows on it! Those rocks are SHARP and SOOO HOT - falling would be a baaad idea. Some people's shoes were melting, for real! It was one of the coolest things i've ever seen (and yes, it might be because i've learnt so much about volcanos in my geography major years and i finally got to see one). As we were hiking up, a serious storm started brewing. We could hear the thunder, see the lightning, and feel the rain. But we kept going. Of course. We were told that if it got much worse we would be stuck up on the volcano because the steam created by the rain would make it impossible to navigate our way back down. So our time at the top was cut a little short. But it was still an incredible experience - good to get some exercise too!

We got back to the city and a day or two later moved on
bags of stuffbags of stuffbags of stuff

market - antigua
towards to lake. Lago Atitlan, a lake surrounded by three volcanos - known for it's totally chilled out atmosphere and hippy-like mindset. We chose a tiny place on the lake called Santa Cruz to make our home for the next little while. A big group of us from the Black Cat (hostel in Antigua) piled into the shuttle bus, and then onto the boat to make the trip. The next few days were full of great company, great food, great music, and fantastic fun. We made day trips to San Pedro, did a tour of the whole lake (which took us to some hot springs, some cliff jumping spots, and around to different towns). Alison's boyfriends' friend (Jason) and his buddy (Brent) met up with us there, and Brent entertained us with his amazing guitar and singing skills. I read a book in almost a day (Tuesdays with Morrie - GREAT book, you all should read it) , ate yummy dinners, and had some great nights of pool, tequila shots, and a yummy australian drink which involved bitters (some aussie alcohol i believe)

The setting of the lake was just so beautiful. Hard for pictures to even describe it!
crumbled church crumbled church crumbled church

500 year old church vs. earthquake
So, here are some pictures. Enjoy!

Next blog - Rio Dulce, Livingstone and getting into Honduras (GREAT crazy stories here....)

Love you!
Lauren



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

And back down...And back down...
And back down...

the storm was getting worse - with too much rain we would have been stuck out there because of the steam!
All crammed in and ready to goAll crammed in and ready to go
All crammed in and ready to go

Bus to Lago Atitlan - check out that back tire...how did we make it???
Chillin in Santa CruzChillin in Santa Cruz
Chillin in Santa Cruz

Alison, Jason, Brent and mee (Brent is an amazing musician from Calgary. He is also 7 feet tall. And awesome) Jason is friends with Alison's boyfriend from college! Love meeting up with people
Big family dinner!Big family dinner!
Big family dinner!

Eating at Santa Cruz - on the lake


1st June 2007

from the fat man
lolo i see that no more comments are being offered , as i was telling your mom there is so much that you have seen and done that we are all amazed as i'm certain you will be when you return and have a chance to reflect on your adventure . most people live a lifetime and don't come near what you have experienced , you are indeed fortunate. bye for now take care of yourself, love and hugs from the fat man.
4th June 2007

Volcano
Wow - the pictures of the volcano are so cool. I couldn't imagine being that close to an active Volcano. I've always had this strange fear of volcanoes ever since I saw an episode of Magnum P.I. when I was probably 8 or 9. The "bad guy" was killing people by throwing them into this active Hawaiin volcano. That pretty much put me off Volcanoes and Hawaii. Sad.....but true!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb