My first week.


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Heelllooo everyone
I have been living in Antigua for about a week now! Its pretty cool and i am having alot of fun. This past week has been extremely busy! I've had spanish lessons every morning from 8 to 12, then i get on a bus and go to Itzapa...a small town about 45 min away. Its truly incredible there...... im not sure how i can explains, except that is a poor town filled with the nicest people! The school im working at is a big "room" with 5 "classrooms". There are tin roofs covering portions of the area, which is like all the house there too. The desks are all plastic, and during breaks they kids all LOVE to skip, play with puzzles, and toss aroung a soccar ball. On Thursday we had sports day, so we took teh kids swimming. The pool is an outdoor one with an unknown wtaer source. Alot of the kids jumped in *it was about 2 feet deep, but they are soo scared of swimming. It was really alot of fun...i was trying to teach some kids how to float..and most of them could do it but only when i had one hand on their backs. And then i helped some older boys with front crawl and they did really well, so that was pretty excititng for me. On Friday we had a big mothers day party at the shcool, and that was soooo amazing. We packed about 150 mothers into the school, and played games with them... the pinata was teh best. And some of the children performed skits, poems, dances and songs for teh mothers. We gave them somthing to eat...and o man, when the pinata was finally knocked down, the moms went for the candy so quickkly. It was crazy.

On Saturday, Emma and I went to Monterrico Beach!! Its on the Pacific Ocean and about a 2.5 hour drive from Antigua. The hotel was okay..there was a small pool, it was on the beach, and we had our own room...a few problems. The sand was black and SCORCHING hot!! And we discovered the ocean wasnt to great to swim in because of the currents. I kinda found that out first hand when i was sitting in the waves, and then i huge when came and just tossed me around and around. i literally had sand stuffed into my bikini, bellybutton, mouth, hair and ears. It was pretty fun cuz i was tossed about a bit...but the sand covering me form head to toe kinda sucked/ Emma laughed at me. haha. We had amazing slushi drinks there....and a good dinner, then at about 7 30 we were both soooo tired from lying in the sun and form the busy week that we decided to go to bed. To bad the hotel decided to crank music until 3 am. and our room was boiling... but we did get some sweet mesquito nets which were pretty and made me feel like a princess....but they were also extremely hot, Then today we lay in the sun, and in a hamic and is was so nice. So overall it was an awesome week. My spanish is coming along slowly but surely.....

I am reallyt loving it here, the kids are amazing and make everything worth while. On monday we are de nitting kids. so ill let you all know how that goes!

Advertisement



16th May 2007

more about the school . . .
My husband and I want to move to Guatemala to teach school. Can you share more about how you got there and who you're working with? Antigua is great! Go to the Bagel Barn for "movie night"!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb