Antigua and the family


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well i arrived here yesterday morning, after a lovely cramped overnight flight, where Emma and I were picked up and driven for an hour from Guatemala city to Antigua. We stayed in a really nice hotel yesterday....slept alot and walked around. We met two of the directors, Doreen adn Rahel, who are extremely nice, for breakfast this morning and they gave us an orientation, and took us to our family. Emma and I share a room- we each have our own bed- with a bathroom in it which is very nice. The family seems awesome. The parents' Chiqui and Gustapo, with their 3 children, Renee- he is about 14, Gaby- 10 and Paula- 5ish. Paula is so cute. She came into our room and started to speak so quickly in Spanish, all i could understand was somthing about a pool and her mother.

Tomorrow we start Spanish lessons, which i am very excited about because hand gestures can only get you so far. Then in the afternoon i will head to the school, where ill teach class 4. They are about 7-10 years old and learning some math, grammer and reading. Wow. I dont have to ¨lesson plan¨for 2 weeks, because someone else is running the class, so ill just help out and learn alot.

The town is really beautiful. Cobblestone streets everywhere (my feet are starting to hurt already) and surronded by hills and mounttains. The drivers are crazy and think there are zero rules of the road because everybody seems to go adn do whatever they want. And there are some horse walking around. And goats.

Hopefully I can get some pictures up! Im very excited about working with the kids, and learning Spanish. Everyone is friendly and i feel perfectly safe here (dont worry though Mom i wont be walking around at 2 am). I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying schoolworkrain or whatever you are doing!!
...... adios......Laur

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb