Lagoon, grenada


Advertisement
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

At 0900 hours we were in the Grenada Yacht Club. This is where Customs and Immigration office are located. Is just a hop and a skip from our boat. The fees were $25 US or $66.20 EC. We paid in EC money. There is a VHF cruisers net at 0730 hours, which we listen to, finding out that Island World Chandlery has a coffee, book and video exchange this morning. So off we were for parts unknown again, another dinghy dock we spotted in front of the chandlery.
We found out there is a 38 per cent duty tax at the chandlery, so we gave them a copy of our documentation and cruising permit, this will exempt us from the tax on any purchases.
We did book exchange and spoke to cruisers, some we had not seen for a month or so. About 1130 we headed back to the boat for lunch. But oh what a surprise we had waiting on us, and didn't know.
Arriving at the boat, a local launch with a guy telling us he was the harbor master for Port Louis marina. He proceeded to inform us that Thursday at 0600 there is a debris removal barge coming into the lagoon, and that we need to leave. Maribel proceeded to tell him that the charts showed us in a "legal" anchorage designated by his country. He said he didn't care what the charts showed, we have to move. Maribel then proceeded to tell him that inclement weather was coming this evening and that we were super tired. That maritime law...Pete then started...
As the day wore on, another cruiser stopped by, telling us that Port Louis had bought the underwater rights of most of the lagoon. Hmmmmm, so the suggestion was made we call the Port Authority. Maribel went to the VHF radio, called the authority, explained the situation was told we had to move. End of story, we were being evicted!!! What a welcome to Grenada.
Around 1600 hours, Sea Schell came back to their boat. We spoke of the problem at hand, decision was made to pull anchor at 0530 next morning. The harbor master had come by again, telling us we had to move, and if we refused we would be rammed!!! Geesh, and inclement weather is coming.
Around 1800 jenny arrived with her daughters and grandson, we gave them a tour of the boat, had a beer, then went sightseeing and dinner at the Carenage. Very nice family!!! Enjoyed it very much, and plus was a face we had known for several years....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb