Our Last Day


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Central America Caribbean » Curaçao
December 30th 2005
Published: February 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Heading out of HabitatHeading out of HabitatHeading out of Habitat

This is the view as you leave the entrance to Habitat. You can see the Cathedral in St. Willibrordus.
Having spent one last day snorkeling and diving, including our first night dive ever, we spent our last day in Curacao exploring the rest of the island. We started the day heading to the northeast portion of the island to the Ostrich and Game Farm. Although we didn't take the tour, it is the largest ostrich farm outside Africa. We did eat lunch there at the African restaurant Zambezi, which is an open-air restaurant covered by a thatch roof. The food was great! Paul had ostrich and I had a spicy pumpkin soup.

After the Ostrich Farm, we spent most of our time in the capital city of Willemstad. Because it was the final day of Christmas, much of the city was closed to celebrate by shooting off hundreds of thousands of firecrackers (literally) and other fireworks - even though it was the middle of the day! While trying to navigate our way around town, especially with many of the roads closed off to fireworks, a police car almost ran us over because our 3 cyl. clown car was so slow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cathedral of St. William BrothersCathedral of St. William Brothers
Cathedral of St. William Brothers

Each small town throughout Curacao has a church similar to this one in St. Willibrordus, just outside Habitat. This is the church that you could see from one of our earlier photos taken from the dive boat.
CemetaryCemetary
Cemetary

Each church also has its own above-ground cemetary.
Flamingo SanctuaryFlamingo Sanctuary
Flamingo Sanctuary

Just outside the town of St. Willibrordus is the Flamingo Sanctuary. This large "salt pond" is sometimes filled with thousands of flamingos.
St. Joris BaySt. Joris Bay
St. Joris Bay

This is the scenic view from the restaurant Zambezi at the Ostrich and Game Farm.
Paul's New FriendPaul's New Friend
Paul's New Friend

Near the restaurant were some pot bellied pigs that Paul fell in love with.
OstrichOstrich
Ostrich

About 700 ostriches, emus and similar birds are on the ranch.
Ostrich and Game FarmOstrich and Game Farm
Ostrich and Game Farm

We didn't take the tour because we wanted to head towards Willemstad, but it looked interesting.
Our Clown Car!Our Clown Car!
Our Clown Car!

Paul almost didn't fit in it!
Venezuelan Oil RefineryVenezuelan Oil Refinery
Venezuelan Oil Refinery

This is the first view you have coming into Willemstad.
Punda DistrictPunda District
Punda District

Punda is the district in Willemstad that is the busiest (and where we almost got run over in our clown car). Note the Dutch-style architecture.
Otrabanda DistrictOtrabanda District
Otrabanda District

We're taking these photos from Otrabanda (the "other" side), which is the district across Sint Annabaai (Saint Anna Bay). This district was much easier to navigate, and we had a great view of the market.
Last MargaritaLast Margarita
Last Margarita

Paul caught me eating the lime from my margarita. We hung out at this open air restaurant during a brief afternoon rain shower.
Final EveningFinal Evening
Final Evening

After a long day of exploring the island, we headed out for our last dinner on Curacao. Our favorite restaurant was the French Bistro Le Clochard. We were sad to say, "goodbye!"


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb