Exploring Shete Boka


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Central America Caribbean » Curaçao
December 26th 2005
Published: February 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Habitat to Shete Boca


After scheduling a dive for later in the afternoon, we went to explore the northern coast at National Park Shete Boka. It was about a 20 minute drive in our clown car through 2-lane unmarked roads. The scenery was beautiful, but arid. It was odd not seeing any fresh water - almost like being in the US Southwest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Boka TablaBoka Tabla
Boka Tabla

A closer view of the northern coast.
Inside Boka TablaInside Boka Tabla
Inside Boka Tabla

The coast is full of caves where slaves used to hide. Curacao was a big slave trade port with almost 40% (500,000) of all slaves brought to the "New World" passing through there.
Trails along Shete BokaTrails along Shete Boka
Trails along Shete Boka

Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink! Curacao has to desalinate ocean water to drink.
Angry OceanAngry Ocean
Angry Ocean

The ocean along the northern coast is rough because of the leeward winds that blow all year long (hence the name "Leeward Islands" for Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao).
Exploring Each BokaExploring Each Boka
Exploring Each Boka

The limestone features have been carved by the water over (millions?) the years.
Spectacular ViewsSpectacular Views
Spectacular Views

Warnings along the paths note that the waves crash high enough to wash visitors over the edge - so don't get off the paths!
Looking Back at LandLooking Back at Land
Looking Back at Land

The scenery of the island is rugged and mostly flat, except some outcroppings like this one at Christoffel National Park (as looking from Shete Boka).
Cooling OffCooling Off
Cooling Off

The bottom of this small canyon (behind Paul, which you can't really see - sorry!) contains dozens of names that people have spelled out with pieces of coral. Names range from small in size - just a few inches - to several feet.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb