5 REMARKABLE THINGS YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT CURACAO ISLAND


Advertisement
Published: April 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Introduction

Curacao is an island country in the southern Caribbean Sea located about 65 km to the north of Venezuela. A part of the Lesser Antilles, the Dutch Caribbean island became a constituent country of the Kingdom of Netherlands in 1954, with. Spread over an area of 444 square km and with a total population of 1.6 million, the island nation ranks 192nd in the world's countries in terms of population. Apart from being a tourist paradise because of its expansive and clean beaches, exquisite marine life and coral reefs, there are many more striking things that you must know about this beautiful country. So, read ahead, get amazed and plan for a Curacao travel.



1. Sandy Floor

Few people know that the Mikve Israel Emanuel Synagogue dating back to 17th century and located in Willemstad, capital of Curacao is the earliest synagogue of its type in the entire Western Hemisphere. The incredible thing about the place is that the floor is covered with sand. However, the craziest part is the reason for this. Under the Spanish rule, the Jewish tribes here had to follow their religion secretively and the sand on the synagogue's floor damped the noise while they entered or left. The tradition has since continued as a remembrance.



2. "Naked Buildings"

You got it right! There are buildings that are clothed, while others that are naked as per local terminologies. If the construction stones of a building are visible, they are called naked and the plaster and paint act as their clothing. Buildings are said to be inflicted with cancer when the chloride from the coral stone depletes the plaster and the marks start to appear.



3. Shoe Tax

The floating Queen Emma bridge is one of the major tourist attractions. Many people are not aware that till as late as 1934, there was a tax of 2 cents if you crossed the bridge wearing shoes. The result was that while the rich would remove their shoes to avoid the toll, the poor used to borrow shoes for crossing to show-off.



4. Unity in Diversity

Although the total population of the island country is lesser than most metro cities around the world, there is a whopping diversity in the nationalities of the inhabitants here. As many as 65 nationalities are represented in Curacao, which entails that although English, Dutch and Papiamento are the official languages, you will find dozens more being used by the natives.



5. Local Flavour

Iguana is a favorite delicacy among the locals and the tourists alike. They relish it in soups and stews. All drinking water in Curacao is sea water, even the distilled water packaged in bottles is processed and packed. Try 'awa di lamunchi' which is nothing but water added with lime and sugar for a refreshment.





Conclusion.

If you are planning for a trip towards the Caribbean, Curacao travel can't be afforded to be missed from you itinerary. The unique cultural diversity, the beautiful beaches, marine water adventures like diving in the Blue Bay etc of the island nation should be experienced to be believed. Plan your trip anytime of the year and you will find a refreshing getaway. Whether you like the beaches or the architectural sight seeing, Curacao has it all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.45s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb