Boring Varadero


Advertisement
Published: November 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Ola,

We woke up early and jumped on the Viazul to Varadero, taking in the beautiful scenery of the Bahia de los Cochinos once again. Once in Varadero, we went to our Casa Particular, Beny's House, and checked-in. The place was nice, but it felt much less like a home than any other place we had stayed so far in Cuba. We then decided to go out and explore the town.

There is very little to see in Varadero. The town is very ugly and seems to exist solely to sell generic souvenirs to unsuspecting tourists who escape their minimum security prisons... I mean all-inclusive resorts. However, we did find a good restaurant for lunch that served us an excellent meal, complete with the forbidden ingredient that is salt. Afterwards, we headed out to the incredible stretch of beach that made Varadero one of the first resorts in Cuba. The 20km stretch of beach is beautiful and exemplifies why the resort receives over 1 million visitors per year. The sun setting over the beach was particularly stunning, bringing an end to our time in Cuba.

Things we learned in Varadero:

- The beaches on the northern side of Cuba are nicer than the beaches on the southern side.

- A decent meal can be found, but it is a challenge.

- Resort towns are places neither Luke, nor Peter, want to visit again any time soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb