Exploring Puerto Jimenez by Bicycle


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica
February 22nd 2017
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051

While we were staying at both of the places, we took advantage of the bicycles to go to the grocery store and run other errands while in town. Both places have baskets on their bicycles and so it is easy to transport things from place to place.

The two long rides we did were out to Playa Preciosa one day and along Rio Nuevo another day. To get to Playa Preciosa you head down the road by the airport to the left. There are other side roads as you bicycle along which are also interesting places to stop and enjoy the view of the Golfo or enjoy a bird sighting. This is a fun area to just take off and explore and see what you can see.

When you get to the end of the road from the airport, you turn left and go until you can go no further and then head out to the beach. We have been fortunate to see dolphins moving through the water and just enjoyed the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. This year when we saw signs that indicated that turtles come ashore here as well but we do not know this for certain.

The ride back is very sandy but doable but you may have to get out and walk part of the way. You will reconnect with the main road back to town.

The ride out to Rio Nuevo is another adventure and one of the rewards is the fact that you are on a road that does not see much traffic which is very nice since so many of the roads around Puerto Jimenez are dirt, and so there is a lot of dust as you bicycle along!

These directions are from Cabinas Jimenez. When you come to the main road, turn left and use the paved bicycle/pedestrian path as far as you can. According to Google Maps, the turnoff is about 2 km from Cabinas Jimenez. You can ask for exact directions from someone at the desk at Puerto Jimenez but this was a fun ride and you did get somewhat of a workout because you had a couple of hills to go up and down.

There are other places to ride but these were the only places we have biked while in Puerto Jimenez.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

big changes for Puerto Jimenezbig changes for Puerto Jimenez
big changes for Puerto Jimenez

this has been in the works for at least three years and this year we did see some markers in the water indicating where the new project would go. Hope it is slow coming!!!!
biking to Playa Preciosabiking to Playa Preciosa
biking to Playa Preciosa

Scarlet Macaw enjoying an almond tree


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb