Against the tide in the kayak!


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051

Different experience in the kayaks today. Headed out around 6:30 and the tide was still moving out. We tried to kayak up to the big tree but the tide was too powerful for us to make much headway so we gave up and continued toward Playa Preciosa.

Did something different as we headed toward Rio Plantanares. We explored in and out of the manglar as far as we could go and finally ended up in the river. Paddling against a strong outgoing tide was quite a workout. Did see egrets, kingfisher and ibis on the way in. Had to hold onto something when stopping to look to keep from being pulled back out.

Got to the mangrove black hawk nest around 8 am and positioned ourselves to watch and wait. Finally, the adults flew in and Robert saw a baby lift its head from the nest. Then we started moving out because the outgoing tide was getting stronger and we did not want to be stuck in the manglar!

Saw two linneated woodpeckers, kingfishers and then near Playa Preciosa ani and chacalaca. From Playa Preciosa out to the Golfo Dulce had to sit in the center of the boat to keep from bottoming out. There were 100's of crabs on the newly dry shore. Most amazing. Thomas said there were extreme high tides going on at present.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb