Kayaking from Cabinas Jiminez


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051

Up early to get to Playa Preciosa, into the manglar and out before the tide turned. As usual the parrots and macaws were making their early morning calls back and forth and flying over us as well. Great way to start the morning.

We also were entertained by the shorebirds once we got into the area where the river widens out before entering into the Golfo Dulce. There were kingfishers chattering at us as we got closer to the mouth of Rio Plantanares. We were not seeing the warblers we have seen in past years. This possibly could be the time of year and they have all made the journey back across the Gulf of Mexico to the United States.

Headed up into the manglar and Robert found a mangrove black hawk nest with two hawks flying in and out and near it. The tide was turning and so we were having to push ourselves up into the tree roots to try to stay in place to watch the birds and the nest.

Decided we needed to leave and tied a piece of blue ribbon around a tree so we could find this place the next day. Stopped at Playa Preciosa on the way back and walked over to the other side. It was misty over the mountains in the distance.l

The next day we headed back to Playa Preciosa to check out the nest again but were never able to get a clear shot of the birds. They would coming flying in very rapidly and with very little warning to give you time to get the camera up and into position. Still it was great heading up into the manglar as usual.



Additional photos below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb