Hike to Ballena National Park


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Uvita  Uvita  Uvita

El tucan guest kitchen
Geo: 9.15446, -83.7423

Got up very early to try to do as much in the relative cool of the morning. Took the road past the Road Shack and turned to the left instead of heading on around the curve we had taken the day before. Got to the river and did not see an easy place to cross without getting feet wet or taking off the shoes. Saw some vehicles go through the river and it did not look too deep or swift.

Robert decided it would be a grand adventure to walk up the river to the bridge over the highway or if we saw a place on the other side that connected with the road to the National Park. For some reason, Laura was not as adventurous but we did make it down the river and almost to the bridge and saw a place to cross over and connect with the road to the park. The good news about the adventure up the river was all the birdlife moving about in the early morning.

Stopped before we got to the park and had an iced coffee and breakfast and cooled down. Paid our admission fee and were told by the lady at the desk the Whale Tail would be covered by 1:00pm and the area would be impassable by foot. We walked in the shade as much as we could and then went out to the Whale Tail. It was interesting to see how the tide came in on both sides of the beach and made the tail even more pronounced. We did not stick around to see what would happen when the entire beach was covered with water.

The hike was nice, day of course got warm and we decided not to take a chance on a trail leading from the beach to see where it would go. We were low on water and felt it could be a foolish move. Got out to main road.....hot and tired and luckily a taxi appeared and we got a ride to the BM for ice and snacks and back to Traveler's Rest where we spent the remainder of the day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb