Jewels Down the Road Less Traveled


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica
February 12th 2013
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051


Craig is supposed to join us today but we still had time for another early morning bird walk and short adventure on the bikes.

2nd day hike Basically we walked the same direction as we had the day before but did manage to see some different birds than we had the day before.

Some of the birds of note were the red legged honey-creeper which is a very colorful purple/blue with a "glittering pale turquoise crown" and red legs.

We also saw some parrots building their nest and a woodpecker chattering away at us as he flew about.

The day before we had hiked to the end of the road where there was a fence and a sign telling you to keep out.

This day there was a woman in her car leaving and we asked her permission to continue up the road. She said yes and we think she said in spanish there were some nice birds to be seen.

Fiery-billed Aracari !!!!

And the real treat was the pair of fiery-billed aracari moving through the trees. We were fortunate because they sat still long enough in various places to get some distant shots of them.

Walked around for a
bit further and then headed back to the Cabinas Jimenez to check out two of the bikes.

Bike ride

We bicycled to the grocery store and got some supplies for our stay at Cabinas Jimenez.

This time before we took the bikes out, Tom Kayak helped us air up the tires and so it was a little easier getting around on them. Went to the Panaderia and got some pastries for breakfast and of course one for the road and some snack cookies.

Biked on and there is a new fruit and vegetable store in town that is such an awesome sight. All of the fruits and vegetables are arranged so artfully, very fresh, and such a variety. Did not buy out the store as was the temptation but will be back once we move over to Cabinas Tropicales and have a regular size refrigerator to store things in.

From there we bicycled over near the airport to see where Cabinas Tropicales is located and then to the road down from Delfines that leads to Parrot Bay and Adonis Campground.

Scarlet Macaws, Jewels of Puerto Jimenez

The macaws were out and in fine form that day. Parked the bikes and watched them for quite some
time. Found their hole where they have nested in the past and it looks like two of them are setting up to nest there right now. They were squawking and carrying on in groups of two to four and sometimes even cartwheeling in the air as they carried on. Lots of laughs as we watched them and then head back to the Cabinas by way of the waterfront.



Additional photos below
Photos: 91, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

watching sunrise at Cabinas Jimenezwatching sunrise at Cabinas Jimenez
watching sunrise at Cabinas Jimenez

got up early to watch sunrise and see the parrots lift off from the large tree in town near our place. They would fly out and back and out again all the while making a large racket. Volcan Baru in Panama in distance we believe


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb