From Heavenly Cabinas Jimenez to Playa Preciosa


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Cabinas JimenezCabinas JimenezCabinas Jimenez

setting off for an adventure
Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051

We were up and on the water by 6:00 a.m. and were going to go over to the manglar beyond Playa Preciosa while we had the tide in our favor. The high tide was at 7:30 so we figured this was allow us enough time to not have to push ourselves too hard!

There were not many boats moving about so it was easy moving past the pier. When we got to the Crocodile Bay walkway we were able to limbo underneath with no problem. As we were heading away from Crocodile Bridge walkway, we could see frigates roosting in the trees along the shore. That was in interesting sight to see. Continued on toward the inlet leading into the manglar and were rewarded with some nice birds along the shore. One of the birds was as tri-colored heron which we had not seen here before.

When we got to Playa Preciosa things had changed! Someone has flattened the bank so it is so much easier to get out of your boat and walk over at look at the ocean with the waves crashing. From there on to the manglar to check things out. You are traveling up the river Plantares.
Quickly, paddle  upstream while the tide is hgh!Quickly, paddle  upstream while the tide is hgh!Quickly, paddle upstream while the tide is hgh!

entering the area of Plantanares river which then narrows down into the manglar
It is really neat if you are coming into the river along with the tide because the tide will move your boat along and you can just drift and look at things!

The nice thing about traveling in the manglar is the shade and it does seem much cooler and it is so interesting to look up into the mangrove trees and see what is up there. There were lots of different crabs moving up and down those fascinating roots reaching down into the water. There were some crabs I called ghost crabs because they were white with red pincers! We finally got to the point where we could go no further and had to turn back.

Fortunately so far this time we have not gotten ourselves turned around in the manglar as we did on one of our previous trips. As we were heading out saw a yellow warbler which happens to have a red head and was very beautiful. Saw another unknown warbler--stil have trouble on the identification of ones that have too many of the same features!

We also watched a tiger heron that was hunting amongst the manglar roots intent on his hunt and did not pay us much attention at all! They are so well camouflaged and you can easily miss them as you paddle past!

Headed back and right near Playa Preciosa Robert spotted a mother flycatcher with four small featherless babies in the nest. It sure didn't look like they had much protection from the sun or predators! Continued on back and by the time we arrived back at Cabinas Jimenez we were quite tired and ready to cool off!



Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Quickly, paddle  upstream while the tide is hgh!Quickly, paddle  upstream while the tide is hgh!
Quickly, paddle upstream while the tide is hgh!

looking out to the hills in the distance
Sunrise from  Cabinas JiminezSunrise from  Cabinas Jiminez
Sunrise from Cabinas Jiminez

wow, it is up and beaming down on us!
Sunrise from  Cabinas JiminezSunrise from  Cabinas Jiminez
Sunrise from Cabinas Jiminez

heading to Playa Preciosa and exploring the manglars of Plantanares river
heading to Playa Preciosa and explore the manglarheading to Playa Preciosa and explore the manglar
heading to Playa Preciosa and explore the manglar

you set off from Cabinas Jimenez and go around the Puerto Jimenez pier to then head off toward Playa Preciosa


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb