La Cangreja National Park


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.52, -84.32

9 miles north of Arenal, Costa Rica.

Approx 20 miles north of Parrita, Costa Rica on gravel road to San Jose, CR.

La Cangreja National Park

Decided to go to Parque Nacional La Cangreja which is on the road to Purriscal from Craig's. You are climbing most of the way there. On the way, Nery heard the sound of a toucan and we pulled off and were successful in finding it. Got some pictures and were back in the car before the bus came past in a cloud of dust.

When we got the the entrance, the park ranger was out by the gate and greeted us. We drove on in and went to the overlook. We were able to see some macaws as they crossed the valley. Well, everyone but Laura got a glimpse of them. The mountains loom in the distance. The park ranger came up and we got to visit with him and he showed us where we were on the map. Evidently the name of the park comes from the fact that from the air this area looks like a crab because of all the rivers/streams coming down the hillside.

The park is at about 1800 feet
Parque Nacional La CangrejaParque Nacional La CangrejaParque Nacional La Cangreja

heard the toucan first and then we saw it in the tree calling for another to join it. they have a very distinctive call and it is interesting to watch them throw their head back as they call!
if understood correctly and the mountain that some people climb in the park is at about 4000 feet. We just enjoyed the view and the ranger told us we could drive down to the river and park about 50 meters from the river itself. Since Craig has four-wheel drive this was not a problem. As we headed down toward the river a barred forest falcon flew out and greeted us.

The river was quite beautiful with some very nice sized pools. It seemed like it would be a nice place to come and spend the day. There was a nice path heading into the forest that we walked along. Got to see a new warbler on the walk...a buff tailed warbler. Nery saw it and looking at the pictures and the book, we were able to determine what it was. It was mainly by the behavior; wagging its tail back and forth that let us know what we were looking at.

Headed back up to the top and they wanted to get the phone number and while we were waiting, up flew a fiery-billed aracari. It had a nest in the tree where we were watching it and got to see it actually catch some insects and take them into the nest which was in a hole in the tree. Was a real treat to sit and watch this activity.

This was a very nice park and if we come back to Craig's hope to make a day trip the next time!





Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Parque Nacional La CangrejaParque Nacional La Cangreja
Parque Nacional La Cangreja

this is the chestnut mandibled toucan
Parque Nacional La CangrejaParque Nacional La Cangreja
Parque Nacional La Cangreja

entrance to the park.............we had the park to ourselves that day
Parque Nacional La CangrejaParque Nacional La Cangreja
Parque Nacional La Cangreja

barred forest falcon greeted us as we headed down to the river


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb