April 26 Tortoguero National Park


Advertisement
Published: April 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ready to start the dayReady to start the dayReady to start the day

All fresh and clean waiting to wilt.
Good Morning All:

We like hearing from those of you who have chosen to comment.

Sitting outside our room at 6:00 AM. The birds are singing, the howler monkeys howling, and the crabs scuttling about. Costa Rica is awake. I'm sweating already!

Had some trouble with the photos and spelling yesterday as you may have noticed. I'll try to do better today.

Up and in the boat (before breakfast) by 6:00 for a river and canal tour. 6:00 AM, do you appreciate the full impact of that? Hot as Hades already. But, in for a penny, in for a pound. Saw many beautiful birds, flowers and other wildlife. (See photos). At 8:00 they brought us back for breakfast. Fruit, rice and beans, eggs and pancakes. After breakfast we got a half-hour break and then back out again for a walk in the forest.

But, first a stop to get fitted for rubber boots. We hadn't quite dried out yet from the humidity of the boat trip, but we dutifully got our rubber boots. Boots that others had undoubtedly had sweaty feet in.

Our guide Fernando said follow me, so we did. The boots are for
The already famous anhingaThe already famous anhingaThe already famous anhinga

These birds need to get out of the water to dry their wings or they cannot fly.
the mud - thick, gooey, boot sucking mud. After 90 minutes and a sighting of a spider and a venomous snake (See photos) we were so drenched I cannot describe it. I looked over at Emily who looked physically ill. When I asked what was the matter, she said "I want a shower".

So we rushed back to our room, showered, changed our clothes and ran to the pool to cool off. Not a bit of shade in the pool so even the kids couldn't stay long. The prospect of being cooked alive made us seek out Fernando to ask if we could take an early evening boat trip. The National Park "closes" at 5 PM, but he arranged to take us out from 3:30 to 5:30. Not exactly the coolest part of the day, and no guarantee of animal sightings, but we decided to go.

The first picture I tried to take told me I needed to recharge the battery. So these photos are Guy's. I probably didn't need to tell you that. You'll see for yourselves.

Were we ever glad. Saw a couple of rare birds and an iguana, but the best were white-faced monkeys.
Green HeronGreen HeronGreen Heron

Doesn't look green so not sure why they call it a green heron.
There were half-dozen or so, but, one threesome were fairly close. And the white-faced monkeys are the only ones who brave the forest floor instead of always jumping from tree to tree. There was a baby, maybe 6 months old, who clearly was practicing climbing, swinging, and jumping from one branch to another. What a site.

On our way back, the moon had risen and it just seemed the perfect ending to the day.






Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Jicana birdJicana bird
Jicana bird

Also called the Jesus Christ bird because it appears to be able to walk on water. It has special feet that permit it to walk on roots of vegetation in the water.
IguanaIguana
Iguana

This was one of many iguanas we saw. Called a green iguana. Again, not green.
Bare-throated tiger heronBare-throated tiger heron
Bare-throated tiger heron

Neither bare-throated, nor stripped, but quite majestic.
CaimanCaiman
Caiman

Not a crocodile, but a caiman.
Rubber BootsRubber Boots
Rubber Boots

Here we all are getting ready to have some fun in the forest.
Spider 1Spider 1
Spider 1

Just hanging there minding his own business.
Spider 2Spider 2
Spider 2

Not interested in walking into that web.
Howler monkeyHowler monkey
Howler monkey

Not a great photo, but these are the guys who greet the day howling. Google them to hear what they sound like. It's worth it.
Evening boat tripEvening boat trip
Evening boat trip

Don't they look fresh?
emerald basiliskemerald basilisk
emerald basilisk

Fernando tells us these are rarely seen. They are green, as you can see, and blend in quite well with the other foliage.
Another viewAnother view
Another view

He stood stock still and we were very close.
We got to see anotherWe got to see another
We got to see another

They are really something, don't you think?
Slaty-tailed TrogonSlaty-tailed Trogon
Slaty-tailed Trogon

Impressive looking even if the name is silly.
Eyelash palm pit viperEyelash palm pit viper
Eyelash palm pit viper

This one is out of order. We saw this on our forced march through the forest in the morning. Very venomous.
white-faced monkeywhite-faced monkey
white-faced monkey

This one came down a tree right in front of us, ran a few meters on the ground, and then climbed up another tree.
moon over Costa Ricamoon over Costa Rica
moon over Costa Rica

Nice way to end the day.


28th April 2010

Great photos! Willem has enjoyed the morning blog. "Mom, mom they saw a Caiman, they're so lucky!" We're also reading along in AYM. Can't wait to see the adventures tomorrow bring.
28th April 2010

Wow, looks like youm made the right choice on your destination. It is always hard to get up so early, especially when the days ans nights sound so hot, but, it is sure worth it at the end of the day and the end of the trip. Gosh, you all are almost 1/2 way through. Enjoy every moment! ~Krista or should I say Mrs. Dleaney
28th April 2010

Blog
The whole family loves waking up in the morning and seeing what you were up to on the previous day. Keep it coming!
28th April 2010

get thyself to monte verde or arenal
Should cool yourself off a bit.
28th April 2010

WOW
I love to hear your stories and follow your trip. I'm not sure I could even take a picture of a spider - I'd be running the other way. I love the monkeys. Stay cool....Mrs. O
28th April 2010

Spanish?
How is the Spanish speaking going? Love the pics and the enthused looks on all your faces! Heather
29th April 2010

So who got to wrangle the venomous snake!!!??? Just so you know that winter isnt quite finished with us yet, there was frost this morning and we are still wearing sweatshirts and jackets. So think cool and stay in the shade (but away from venomous snakes!!!) The monkey photos are great what a treat cant wait to hear first hand the stories!! Miss you all! Kim

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb