A ROUND PLUG IN A SQUARE HOLE!


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.93333, -84.0833

Time Check: 0735 Costa Rica Time: GMT - 6

Sitting on our Teak Balcony in Room 8 of The Van Trapp Motel overlooking verdant vegetation and Pool. A "little man" is sweeping up mango tree leaves whilst various "parrot like" chirps and whoops can be heard in the branches towering above. We are literally 1/4km from the Airport and it was only a short hop from there last night. Various aircraft engine noise break the 'JUNGLY" cacophony every few minutes.

We we were up and poking about at 0500hrs looking forward to home ground coffee put together in our little plunger device (which got pulled apart at JFK as it had a couple of AAA Batteries conveniently stowed inside it)........tick...tick....

DISASTER!!!.....total plug failure......I had stupidly packed three EEC plugs instead of US ones.........NO KETTLE!.......NO CHARGING!........potentially a limited blog! Panic set in followed by a realisation that iPhones are in fact a US Product and kettles have reached these parts some 70 years ago!.........eventually, I was rescued by a helpful night porter who lent/gave me his charger and brewed up 2 steaming cups of coffee for us......what a star!

RECAP: LHR to JFK: an uneventful 8 hours flight followed by a torrid 3.5 hours at JFK. Yes we have been "JFKed" involving a promising ESTA/VISA MACHINE that issued a helpful slip that then entitled us to join a Mashoosive queue through to proper customs! This lasted about 1 hour and with a connecting flight at 1700hrs we nervously peeked at our watches every five minutes.

THROUGH!......then off to pick up our luggage and then recheckin "again" onto Flight 434 to St Jose. Only incident to report was a bust up in duty free over the purchase of a 1L bottle of Wild Turkey Bourbon....45% proof!........."No sir we cannot sell this product as you are flying internal within the USA".......scuse me....... we are off to St Jose Costa Rica not California!.....sorry sir let me phone my manager........no sir we have no flights from this Terminal to Costa Rica.......NO SALE!.......WHAAAAAT!........I was rather indifferent to the situation to start with then due to fatigue THE GRUMPY CIRCUIT switched flicked on and we had another go by flapping our boarding cards at her.......OK THEN......DO WE NEED THIS PURCHASE!!!!......ME THINKS NOT ....I laconically state and plonk the 35$ bottle firmly down on the checkout and stump off........

A strategic purchase of Nicaraguan Rum was made immediately on landing for a fraction of the cost.......

UPDATE: 0810 HRS - a breakfast of scrambled egg, rice, beans and banana + the local Chile sauce soon settle us.......

At 0900hrs our 4WD will arrive and we then have a 3 hour self drive to the Monteverdi Cloud Forest.........more to follow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



19th December 2016

Looks so lovely! It looks as if you should have little hummingbirds flitting around you x

Tot: 0.486s; Tpl: 0.07s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb