cRACK OF DAWN REALLY MEANS SOMETHING HERE


Advertisement
Published: January 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Guys,
We had our first real day in Costa Rica today. Starting with the fact that we have a great hotel, great food, and an all inclusive little addition to our tour, meaning free snacks, and drinks!

Today, 6 AM wake up, breakfast and then off to a volcanoe crater. It´s been cool here, affected by the US weather storms ( think California) but cool here is still 24. GOing up, however, means sinking temps. On thw way, saw coffee plantations ( 1000 - 5000feet)- then they stop and strawberry and fern farms begin, Then dairy cattle up high. Very organized and making the best use of the land. The volcanoes top was literally in the clouds, and so we put on the ponchos and braved 50 mile an hour wind and climbed to the top. Neat - eveb though we didn´t see anything other than the edge. Them´s the breaks.

Did you know that Costa RIca is self sufficient in food, and that 98% of their energy does not come from fossil fuel? If the state has to use some, everyone gets a bigger bill overall. In fact, the government takes 9% of employment income ( and 9% from the employers ) to go into the health and pension fund system. 2% of that money is put into a Xmas trust, and everyone gets their money back to spend at Xmas. Like a national piggy bank.

Went to the National Museum, and over half was dedicated to pre-Spanish times. Incredible history. They do not celebrate Columbus here.

Most of the tour people are Americans, and our guide keeps stressing that they have no army, and 98% literacy due to an education being guaranteed and compulsory under the Constitution. They still have indigenous people, and many reserves where they live unbothered. There´s a real effort to save them and their culture.

We have to be up at 5 AM tomorrow. ( By the way, the sun abruptly sets at 6 PM, and I mean sets. It rises at 5:30 AM) Everyone in Costa Rica thus begins their day early. Tomorrow is the rain forest tram, then cruise to Torteguero for a 2 night stay. Primitive but clean and that´s where the wildlife begins. Probably no interNet. Can´t believe I´m getting up at that hour. Will keep you posted.



It´s low key here, people seem very friendly, and over all it´s clean and cared for. Wouldn´t want to drive in San Jose! It´s all very hilly, so, unlike Toronto, each little hill and valley has it´s own village - no town planning what with all the hills and rivers, etc.

Advertisement



21st January 2007

Hi guys: A change from the leisurely pace of getting up at 9-10am. Sounds like you are enjoying the tours despite the cool weather.Think TO.........think cold........think "we're glad we're not in TO". We have had our first taste of a normal winter this week. Enjoy yourselves. Peter
22nd January 2007

Sounds like you're off to a good start! Everything is fine here! Look forward to following your adventures!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb