OK - so where exactly are the volcanoes?


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela » Arenal
January 23rd 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Guys,

Today is the first day we have access to the net, having stayed in the jungle with no phone TV internet or access to the outer world. Some of the Yankees were totally at loose ends without TV, but it meant we all went to bed at 9PM, to get up at 6 AM as required for the next day activity.

Firstly, must tell you that Glen is the happiest guy alive down here. He loves tropical ( even damp, hot, rainy rain forest). He´s turned into an extrovert, blabbing away even about politics!!!! I am the one staying in the background, for a change. The weather is so changeable that you have to wear rain gear at times. Glen put his rain poncho ¨dork factor¨at 9.75, until some Americans complimented us on such a wise choice ( they´re all wearing jackets!). Glen and I got caught in the pouring rain, in the middle of the botanical garden jungle at one point ( no the canopy does not prevent rain from pouring in!) but it was kinda fun - warm and wet and soft.

Today, we are staying at the foot of a volcanoe, which would be impressive if it wasn´t shrouded in fog/cloud. Right now it´s raining, like heavily! But hot and humid nevertheless, as we are on the Caribbean side of the continental divide. The people are friendly, polite, and welcoming to tourists as the whole country believes tourists are a good thing. They are extremely proud of their heritage ( no army), their social programs ( health and education), and their environmental care. And I mean they really are - even souvenires are made in CR rather than China! There is a decent standard of living here. And no hustling by anyone for anything!!

It is still pouring rain in buckets!

The food is impressively fresh - I´m sure I´m losing wieght just because nothing is fried, everything is healthy and hardly any red meat. Nothing is processed. They are , in fact, a self sufficient country. (Got to admit, I would kill for Rease´s peanut butter cups at this very moment!)

Tonite, or this afternoon, hot springs and a mud bath I think!! Miss all of you guys - I really do. I was homesick at first, which surprised me. But, heck, we do hate winter!
M & G

Advertisement



24th January 2007

Just keep thinking -13 in TO
Sounds like an incredible adventure!! Hope you don't have trouble getting Glen to come back!!???? House , car etc. fine! Miss you! -Pam
24th January 2007

Following Along
We are all avidly following along with your adventure. So glad that Glen is loving it. Hope the mud bath was relaxing and fabulous. It's great fun to come in from shovelling snow and read about rain forests and volcanos. Love to you both, PS the turtles say hello. Corinne.
29th January 2007

Travelling
Hi Madeleine and Glen, Your trip sounds great. I'll forward to seeing photos. call when you get back.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb