Punta Mona, a Sustainable Version of the Swiss Family Robbinson


Advertisement
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hola,
I have just returned from one of the most incredible places on earth...Punta Mona.

Last monday we loaded in a van and drove five hours across Costa Rica to the Caribbean cost. At last, I caught a glimpse of the ocean. Memories of my past summer in Martha´s Vineyard came flooding back and I felt at home. Standing in the sand, I knew the week ahead was going to be incredible. We were going to spend a week at Punta Mona, a Organic Perma-Culture farm deep in the jungle. To get there, we had to hike four hours. Let me tell you, I am no hiker. I LOVED this hike. It was less of the walking and more of the observation of sloths, howler monkeys, bats, golden orb spiders, caves, islands, tucans, iguanas, and eyelash vipers (yep, you die in four hours if you dont get that anti-venom.) It was also one of the funniest sights I´ve witnessed here in Central America. We emerged out of a swamp completely covered in mud and then dove into the ocean with all of our clothes on. I recomend everyone try this hike.

Punta Mona is paradise. Inspired by the injustice of the plantation environment, Punta Mona is almost completly self sustainable. The houses are solar powered and the water is purified rain. The concept of Perma-Culture is hard to explain, but facisinating. For more information on that go to: http://www.puntamona.org/

Anways, I spent the week going on tours of the farm, swimming, doing yoga, eating delicious food and most of all relaxing in the various hammocks strung up around the farm... Amazing. The trip was intended to be a yoga retreat, so at 7:30 am and 4:00 pm we did yoga with a fellow who just happended to have studied with the same man I did in India. It was the perfect environment for me to delve into something that I have always pushed away from. The sounds of the waves and the jungle birds can really bring you to a meditative state. I hope to continue my practice at home.

The community at Punta Mona was so welcoming. They are excited about what they are doing and its inspiring to see people who are passionate about their work. I was sad to leave them. It was interesting to me becuase I felt like I was at the Caribbean version of my home. The concepts of sustainability they follow are practices my family has always been involved with. Becuase I have been exposed to that lifestyle my whole life, it never seemed un-natural. I became concious of the way that I have been living and very aware of how important it is in our world today. All in all, it was a relaxing week. I allowed myself the space and time to deal with built up emotions. It was a beautiful place and I hope someday I can return there with my family.

Tommorow we leave for the Pacific coast to do turtle watch for a week. The other group didn´t have positive feedback from their week spent there but we are staying open minded and excited. I will be patroling the beaches by night and sleepìng by day. I have no idea what the internet situation will be like. I must get some rest for the long day tommorow. Take care.

PURA VIDA!!!!
-E


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



8th November 2006

wow emma sounds like you are having so much fun, i cant wait to hear about the turtles. im home from africa now and adjusting to life in vermont again. but i cant wait to travel again. talk to you soon. lots of love!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb