What no Water, again?


Advertisement
Published: January 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We have determined this is not a vacation we are on but an adventure. That's not a bad thing, it's just a reality. The part of this trip that is a vacation are the parks and zoos and restaurants we have visited and the part of the trip that is an adventure are the wild rides up into the mountains in the fog not knowing where we are going, no one speaks English, hot water is a luxury and everyday brings new challenges. Tonight we called a cab to go to a restaurant we had already been to, the cab driver didnt speak English but we got where we wanted to go only to find the restaurant was closed. Now what??? Somehow we communicated to him to take us somewhere good. And he did. Nice meal, we were the only ones in the restaurant ( nothing new). Stop at the grocery store to get some bottled water, again. The water pump at our villa went out so there was someone working all day to fix it, you gotta give these guys credit, they worked from 10 this morning until 8 tonight. All is well now but I hate to think what it would cost in the states to have someone work 10 hours to fix something. I'm really impressed with the people here, they take pride in their work.

Reflections on MLK birthday...... This morning I got up at 6:30 ( the sun wakes you up here, no curtains) I went up to our outside patio overlooking the volcanos all around us on top of, you guessed it, the mountain top and I thought of the "I have a dream speech."

I have never actually been on top of a mountain top on MLK birthday before so it had special meaning. As I looked around I saw what an awesome revelation Dr. King had. On top of the mountain you can see forever, there are no obsticles in your way, you are not distracted by small things and you can see where new roads need to be built in order to get where you are going. It is a view like no other. No wonder it was such an inspiring speech. He really did have a vision, he did really lead a nation into a new awareness of a promising future, we are still very much on that road. It's quite something when you think about it all these years later. A shout out to my nephew Patrick who is doing the hard work to see Dr. Kings dream come true. Proud of you.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb