Day 39: Travelling from La Fortuna to Monteverde!


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

P1030065P1030065P1030065

love how they number their supermarkets!
We were meeting at a relatively reasonable time this morning – 8.30am. We had read that the Rainforest Cafe had the best reviews for food in La Fortuna and we only had one meal left to try it so we threw our stuff together and headed down the road to try it out. The coffee was fantastic. We are slowly getting used to having full cream milk. Its gonna be weird going back to skinny milk when we are home! Ben had fruit, granola and yogurt which was yummy but a bit too much watermelon for him as he isnt a massive fan. I got pancakes with strawberries and it was so weird. They had cut up 2 strawberries and had each one in 4 slices placed in each pancake as it was cooked! With maple syrup. Was nice but not really what I expected. I was on my 4th day of anti-biotics today so took them down with me to the cafe, had my morning one and headed back with the pack in my pocket and added my camera to my relatively shallow pockets. Halfway back Ben was checking that I had taken my anti-biotic and I was like yes, yes its in my pocket...reached down and no. Theyre gone! So ben being amazing ran back to the cafe, bearing in mine we were now running late and the whole group was down at the van waiting almost! But no luck at the cafe. They must have fallen out on the way back. Bugger...no more antibiotics!

We all piled into our minivan and had a 10min journey to the boat dock. We were crossing the lake for an hour or so and we expected a slightly bigger boat but this one was tiny!! It was ok though and the lake was so calm and beautiful. Everything around was so green but unfortunately we still couldnt see all of the volcano. We managed to get a few shots of some of it! The boat ride seemed to go quick and waiting for us at the other end was another private van. We had been warned that the next 2 hours was going to be narrow roads, bumpy and if you were prone to car sickness be careful and take a motion sickness tablet! Everyone was dreading it! But it wasnt too bad. We were going so slowly that it was
P1030069P1030069P1030069

la fortuna
bumpy but didnt seem as bad as if we were going fast. No one was sick so that was a bonus and we saw some really cool views along the way as we weaved higher and higher into the mountains.

We arrived to Hotel Don Taco at about 12.30pm =, dropped our stuff and wandered through the tiny lil touristy town to our travel office where we do all the tour bookings. There are lots of lil souvineer shops, restaurants and even a restaurant that was called the treehouse cafe and had a giant giant tree right up the centre of it and you eat up the top! So cool. We will be coming back here! We went into the company's office and booked our ziplining and hanging bridges tour for tomorrow. We hadnt booked anything for today but a few girls in our group were doing the ziplining. We decided to just wander around and look in the lil shops. Ben bought a hackey sack but other than that we didnt buy a lot. We had lunch at the Orchid Cafe where I had THE best juice I have ever had and I have had so many since
P1030071P1030071P1030071

the boat ride to monteverde
being in CA. Mango, passionfruit and pineapple! Ohh such goodness! We all enjoyed our lunch. A mix of paninis for the boys and Marina and I had dessert for lunch! Crepes with berries and lemon sauce! Oh good times!

We got back to the hotel about 3.30 and were meeting at 5.45pm for our night hike so both chilled out for a bit, Ben had a sleep and I caught up on some 'admin'! We met everyone down in the carpark and got on our minivan at 5.45pm. Firstly the guides took us to a lookout where we could see the pacific ocean and the sun was just setting. It was so incredibly windy and we were literally getting bowled over! I tried to stand on a rock for a pic and got knocked off with the strong winds! Crazy! We then all piled back in and made our way to the start of the walk. We all got given flash lights and got warned about the burning ants which I have already experienced on the coffee tour in Copan! We walked around for 2 hours and our guide Roy was really good and passionate about finding animals. We saw a snake, a kinkaju, a tarantula, sleeping Jay birds, 2 diff kinds of small frogs and countless bugs and insects including a praying mantice. We both enjoyed it except it was 6-8pm and by 7pm I was huuuungry and ready for dinner! At the end we saw an armadillo (which I had no idea what it was) but it ran so fast we couldnt take a pic of it! And we evvven saw a mummy and baby sloth cuddled up high in the tree. They just loooked like a bundle of fur to me so we couldnt even make out what it looked like but they are apparently very special animals over in costa rica and we have one lady in our group who is actually obsessed with them! Its ridiculous! Hopefully we can see another one where we can actually see what it looks like! After 2 hours of chasing animals in the dark we handed in our flashlights and got dropped back in town. Everyone was going to Amigos for dinner but Ben and I decided to break off from the group and have a 'romantic' dinner. We (well I) very excitedly wand up to the Treehouse Restauarant! We had been told it was yummmy but expensive. But when we converted it to pounds which is obviously what we have saved in it wasnt too bad, Ben got a really good steak for the equivalent of about 12 pounds! We both loved our meals and the place was so cool. We sat right next to the giant tree. It is rated as one of the worlds top 10 most bizarre restaurants!

After being totally full we had to start our hike up the hill again to our hotel to have an early night as we have to be up at 6am tomo!! Nooooo! For our included day hike through the cloud forrest!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

P1030083P1030083
P1030083

our MASSIVE boat
P1030088P1030088
P1030088

popped tyre on the crazy roads!
P1030093P1030093
P1030093

lil hummingbird on the side of the street
P1030102P1030102
P1030102

sooo windy!
P1030118P1030118
P1030118

SNAKE!


19th May 2013

Great pic's again.
I really liked the sound of the tree top restaurant with juicy steak on the menu. Hope you can get a pic of a armadillo. There seems to be a lot of rare critters in that part of the world. I couldn't imagine Mum on the nature walk at night with snakes in the trees. !!!!! We had a big weekend, laying some concrete and pruning shrubs and generally getting the garden ready for the winter while we had beautiful sunny days. This morning it's pouring rain again

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb