Hummingbirds and Coffee


Advertisement
Published: February 11th 2020
Edit Blog Post

We had decided that it would be in our best interest to not go zip lining or hike to cross the Hanging Bridges, so after breakfast at the hotel we hopped on a shuttle that runs within the hotel to go up to the canopy. Up at the canopy we hoped to see some different birds as there are birds that only live in the high elevations. Upon arriving at the canopy, the young man working there noticed our cameras and set about refilling the hummingbird feeder. As soon as he replaced the feeder, a variety of hummingbirds appeared. Sometimes as many a five at a time. Christian then came out and started looking with us to find other birds in the trees. After a time, he suggested that he might know where we could find a Quetzal if we were willing to take a walk in the forest. So off we went. I might add, this is all on a VERY steep mountainside. Unfortunately we did not find a Quetzal, but did see several other birds on our walk.

Back at the canopy lookout, we continued to photograph the hummingbirds. Knowing that we had to be ready to leave for the coffee plantation by 12:30 pm, we requested that a shuttle pick us up at the canopy at 11:45 am. Well, the shuttle did not come requiring us to walk about a 1/2 mile down the side of the mountain back to our room.

The visit to the coffee plantation included lunch along with the tour. The plantation grows coffee, sugar cane and cocoa so our tour included information on growing a processing those products.

Our dinner at a local restaurant was the farewell dinner for members of the tour who were leaving the tour to return home.

Tomorrow we continue on to Manuel Antonio on the west coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb