Into the Cloud Forest


Advertisement
Published: February 11th 2020
Edit Blog Post

We awoke again to overcast skies and the volcano was not visible. At breakfast we again looked for birds at the feeder. There were not as many as yesterday and no new species. Today was a travel day with a hike into Arenal Lake before moving on to Monteverde and the cloud forest. The "hike" was along a paved trail through the rain forest. We had a brief glimpse at a peccary that did not stay around long enough for a photo. Leafcutter ants were in abundance, but birds were scarce. I had one quick look at a woodcreeper. The lake hosted a couple of Muscovy Ducks. As we returned to our bus, the rain forest lived up to its name with a cloud burst of rain as we hustled up the trail.

Back on the bus we started our journey into the cloud forest and the town of Monteverde. We made a stop in the town of Tilaran, the hometown of our tour guide, for lunch. The wind was blowing so strong that at times we had trouble standing up. We were told that it was the windy season and the winds blew that way consistantly that time of the year. We had lunch at Mary's Restaurant and then walked the town briefly.

From there we drove to Monteverde and our hotel, the El Establo Hotel. The wind was blowing just a badly here and the rain was falling as well. We chose not to venture out and had dinner at the hotel.

Tomorrow morning are two optional tours we are not doing and then a trip to a coffee plantation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb