Day 46, Santa Theresa/Mail Pais


Advertisement
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

our hostelour hostelour hostel

full of surfers....
Well i have to admit im lagging on my blog entries, unfortunately ive been having way to much fun and to much sun to remember to make regular entries. So after the 9 days straight of partying in tamarindo, we decided to head south down the pacific coast to a little place called mail pais. We took a shuttle bus with a few other fellow travellers that we had met in tamarindo. Two surfers, shawn and tom from canada and greg from the states. Me, laura and greg decided to stay at Tranquillo backpackers in Santa Theresa, which is a little town within walking distance of mail pais. These towns essentially only exist because of surfers who come into town to hit up the waves. Tranquillo backpackers was just that a surfer haven. I think me and laura were one of 5 girls there and the rest being all surfers, maybe about 40 guys from around the world there to hit the waves. Three days before we had arrived there was a red tide in that area, for those of you who dont know what that is, its a toxic algae bloom caused by heat fluctuation in the sea that turns an area of the ocean red. It essentially poisons everything in its path, even if you swim in it you can get sick. Fish and sea life wash up on the beach dead all the time. So when we arrived we were told it was safe by the locals and we trusted them and it was fine. This town has no party scene, all the surfers go to bed early to wake up and surf in the morning, the town consists of a single street full of cheap good food. Everynight we were there we would head over to shawn and toms cabinas and played the card game called shithead! i am such a big fan now, i am also a big fan of flora de cana rum made in nicuragua! i will be buying as much as possible before i head home back to canada. I have to say its interesting hanging out with surfers, you learn alot about the ocean and the amount of energy it takes to surf is unbelievable. If your wondering how two guys from western canada are such good surfers , is that they are snowboarders or skaters. They both have been travelling individually for months and have been surfing everyday. I have to say they are very good and usually better then everyone else on the beach. Me and laura just lay in the sand soaking up the sun while we watch everyone else eat salt water. We ended up spending 3 days in santa theresa before deciding to head to Quepos/Manuel Antonio which is one of the most popular reserves in costa rica.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb