Tamarindo Day 36


Advertisement
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So today is March 12 and I am almost two weeks behind on this blog, but I have a good excuse I was stuck in this little beach town called Tamarindo! We were told by fellow travellers that once you arrive there you never want to leave, or you get stuck. Well me and laura definately got stuck, we spent 9 days there! The thing is I dont even know where all the time went. Thus far on this trip Tamarindo is the highlite for me, I think it all comes down to all the people we have met. Our hostel was key to our fun in Tamarindo, as soon as we arrived we met so many people. What happens here is you get caught in this routine of waking up early because our rooms get so damn hot, they are literally concrete cubicles that trap heat, so you wake up around 8/9 eat breakfast then head to the beach, chill there for a few hours watch alot of beginner surfers eat alot of salt water, you head for lunch or we would go to happy hour and this restaurent, get this--- buy one alcoholic beverage and get a free appetizer, so of course that became our favorite spot! and i have a new favorite drink- called a michelada which is a salt rimmed glass, filled with about a quarter cup of fresh lime juice, lots of ice and you pour some tabasco in it and add your beer as you drink it, me and laura think its heaven!!! So after doing that all afternoon we head back to the hostel and think about dinner, we either use the kitchen in the hostel or we would go out for dinner, many times we headed out for sushi, all you can eat for 15 dollars, yes can you believe it?? with fresh tuna caught that day! After dinner its immedietly time to drink and on average there is about 15 of us hanging out at thehostel until about 10pm when we head out to the bar. Now the bars here are quite the party, and how exciting was it that we were in Tamarindo the same time as spring break kids were down for the week. It was quite fun actually, backpackers always mocking spring breakers, there was a definate difference between us and them. These young 19 year olds would literally run into the bar and yell..... YEAH SPRING BREAK LETS GET DRUNK! hah, and of course the backpackers are sitting there all sophisticated with our beers. So in Tamarindo they have what everyone knows as ladies night, except here its for 3 hours at the bar and its free drinks for women, and when we say drinks we mean anything you want except beer. IF you wanted you could sit there all night and take shots with the bartender, so lets just say i had a few rough nights. I think ive broken a record for going out though, i didnt even do this when i was 18. We were in tamarindo for 9 days, we didnt go out the first night and only one other night! So when you go out in Tamarindo certain bars are only open until lets say 1, which forces all the drunk people to walk to the next available bar which causes this bottleneck situation where the bar is so packed people are hanging out on the street in front of the bar. There are only about 4 bars here and they each have their huge party night or ladies night, so everyone usually goes to the same bar everynight, which is cool because you will run into alot of the same people. So beyond all this fascinating information the only other thing i have to add about the bar scene here is the whole idea of being able to drink where you want. Like you have a drink at the hostel you dont have to rush drinking it just take it with you! if its a bottled beer when you get tot he bar and the entrance they will give you a plastic cup to pour your beer in and then you walk right in! same thing happens if you want to leave with your drink, so we can always have a drink and be wandering around, its such a fantastic idea! i wonder how well that would work in edmonton! After the bar closes we head back to our hostel and sit outside in the front area on picnic benches for sometimes hours until the sun comes up just talking amongst ourselves. I think while i was here i met about 25 people that I would honestly like to meet again because everyone knows when travelling you meet people that you wouldnt want to meet again! haha........ or is that just me....... The day we left tamarindo was a sad day, nothing will ever compare, we took a shuttle bus with 3 guys from the hostel to playa santa theresa/mail pais, we are here for 2 days then heading to the infamous jaco (pronounced haco). I LOVE YOU TAMARINDO!!!!


Advertisement



26th March 2007

Hi hi!
Sounds like you had a nice time Anita! I'm glad!! Stay out of trouble!!
11th April 2007

Can't help myself. But as a teacher you should know it is Laura and I, not me and Laura.

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb