This has been quite an adventure to say the least


Advertisement
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our adventure began the second we got off the plane. Our sources told us not to reserve a rental car online because of the saving we´d receive in person. We quickly found out there were no cars to be found. We were lucky enough to get a compact car ¨yaris¨ which we are beating the shit out of due to the wonderful dirt roads and pot holes. Once we left the car rental and headed towards our first destination we quickly found out that Costa Ricans aka ¨Ticos¨aren´t too fond of road signs or street names. A few wrong turns, a new tire and a few new friends later we were on to Dominical. Needless to say a full day of traveling wore us out and we were happy to see our San Diego friends.

Sunday we traveled up the Pacific Coast to Manuel Antonio national park. We hired a private guide to give us a tour of this beautiful beach front park. Some of the wildlife we saw were, white faced monkeys, sloths, iguanas, jesus christ lizard just to name a few. On the way back we stopped for a cocktail at El Avion, a hollowed out American military plane that was converted into a resturant.

http://www.costaverde.com/avion01.htm

Monday we took a full day excursion to Isla Cano, a small island off of Drake bay. The journey began at 6am and the tour was amazing. Our boat ride took us through a river out to the ocean which felt like the jungle book ride at Disneyland. The amount of wildlife we saw on this tour was incredible. Just on the ride to the island we saw crocodiles, snakes, sloths, tuna and dolphins. Our dives were centered around small coral reefs off the island and we saw 6 white tip reef sharks, don´t worry they were only 5ft long and sleeping! We also saw a few moray eels, an octopus, puffer fish which becca got to pet, lobster and a butt load of fish! Lunch consisted of a picnic on the unihabited island on one of the most beautiful beaches we´ve seen.

Dominical ended up being a great little beach town with a laid back surfer vibe and some of the best Thai food we´ve ever had, go figure.

Tuesday was a travel day. We drove up the coast from Domincal all the way up to La Fortuna.
We passed through several small towns and the country side was stunning. We arrived in La Fortuna last night around 4pm and checked into our place which we absolutely love. The owner of this small group of bungalows is extermely warm and friendly, even when Kevin demolished the landscaping with our car last night, by accident of course! We made it up to him with a beer a good spanglish conversation.

It´s Wednesday morning, we just finished the standard Costa Rican breakfast, Gallo Pinto, rice and beans, eggs, plantains, tortillas and some of the best coffee we´ve ever had. There is so much to do in La Fortuna-Arenal. We´ll be planning out some hikes, waterfalls, hot springs and maybe some river rafting and zip line tours, yup, traveling is hard!

We´ll update y´all in a few more days, hopefully with some pics of our adventures. We hope everyone has a great thanksgiving!

xoxo, kevin and becca



Advertisement



23rd November 2007

Sounds like you're having a great time!
Interesting reading your blog...the diving sounds fantastic!
23rd November 2007

you go girl!
Sounds like a great vacation so far! I know Kevin is taking good care of you and I really appreciate that. When you get back, I will need Christmas lists! Have a good one you two adventure seekers!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb