Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: August 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

PSA

Photos to be posted at a later date.

Intro to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Under Construction.



Our Experience

We arrived in Puerto Viejo in the early afternoon and immediately made our way to the cheapest hostel in town. They gave us a stand alone cabin/room with twin beds, a fan, and a light for $16 USD. The bathroom was a hop, skip, and a jump away in the main building. After settling in, we headed out for a late lunch. We found a local restaurant blaring reggae music and had ourselves a big Hawaiian pizza and mozzarella sticks. After a leisurely lunch, we walked around town.

Puerto Viejo is smaller than we imagined. Really, it's just a little Caribbean village subsisting on tourism. Quaint, but in a cool, laid back way. Unfortunately, it was still grey and drizzling on and off. And, on top of everything, Joseph and I were both still "under the weather." The rest of the afternoon we dodged the rain showers, played on the internet, attempted to burn a copy of our pictures onto a disco compacto (failed), read, and had a yummy dinner of hot chocolate, tea, and soup.

Then we headed back to our cabin/room. I read and Joe listened to his iPod. Then we made our way to the showers. Joe had a cold shower. I had a lukewarm shower. I had to walk back from the showers in a shower (a.k.a . rain), sigh. After our respective showers, we slept.

Note: Sorry this entry is a tad lame. But, in the rain there isn't a whole lot to do. Sigh.

The next morning we got up and went to grab some breakfast. While we were getting ready I had an idea. How about seeing if we could switch our flight and leave San Jose the next day? If we were just going to be monsooned on for the rest of the trip why not cut our losses and head home?

After breakfast went went online and, sure enough, all we saw on the radar for all of Costa Rica was rain, rain, rain. So, Joe chatted with his friend Alex (Alex = Good), and he was nice enough to call the 800 number and check flight availability for us. Unfortunately, after several minutes Alex reported back that there were no available flights. So, Joe and I gave up on our fly-home-early-and-avoid-the-monsoon plan and tried to decide whether to stay in Puerto Viejo or head up the coast a bit. It had rained during breakfast, but after we'd finished with the internet it was just grey. I suggested we might rent bikes and pray for it to just stay gloomy, but considering we were both getting over pretty vicious colds we decided to not chance it and just bus on up to Puerto Limon. So, we checked out of our hotel and at that exact moment heard a huge clap of thunder. Right after we boarded the bus bound for Limon it started raining... again.

Joe's Note: Hell isn't fire and brimstone. Hell also isn't a frozen wasteland (sorry Dante). Hell is being constantly damp with no end in sight. Ugh.

Up Next...

Puerto Limon. And more rain.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb