Day 11


Advertisement
Published: October 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Bocas this morning meant an early boat across to mainland, followed by a shuttle bus with 2 other people to the border town of Sixaola.. WHAT a hassle the crossing was! We had to queue on the panama side to get our passports stamped, then walk across what looks like an incredibly rickety bridge to the other side. baring in mind this bridge supports hundreds of passing cargo trucks, we didnt feel particularly safe as you could see down through the planks to the huge brown river below!! Very hot and tired, we joined a second queue at the other side to get our passports stamped by Costa Rica. (we met the english boys from Bocas who were just behind us in the queue at Panama, but by the time they arrived in Costa Rica, the queue was massive and turned out it took them 1.5 hours to get to the front, unlike our 20 mins!!) The driver picked us up on the other side and drove us through Costa Rican countryside. Huge mountains towered on one side of us, while fields of banana plantations lined the other side. The roads here are awful (without sounding too much like city girls!) but apparently Costa Rica is known for its potholes!!

We arrived in Puerto Viejo and pulled up to Rocking Js, a hostel which had been recommended. Why? this was definately a question we asked eachother once wed signed up and paid for our TENT in the ent village. No, that doesnt make it sound any more fun or less tent-like, its just how they phrased it. hahaaaa the look on Tashas face. a quote from her diary.. " but the tent we were given was really tatty with a broken zip. Felt very uncomfortable". Emily has officially gained a new status as ug checker outer and has orders to check under pillows/beds/carpets at any new hostel. So Em forced Tasha to stick it out for one night as we were stinking hot, hungry and not at all in friendly moods. The hostel itself was very hippy like, all the walls were covered in mosaics, paintings and quotes and there was also a hammock village to join its neighbouring tent village. lovely. we didnt fancy bugs flying over us all night, so a tent seemed the best choice.

We headed into town for some food and checked out the area. The village itself is really chilled out..very rasta-like with lots of happy grins (wonder why..) and friendly people. We stumbled across Jerk and Juice were we had just that..jerked chicken and big juice smoothies!! After a quick nose at another recommended hostel, we decided we would change hostels for the next night as this one seemed much calmer and less village-fied. The only downfall was those English boys might have been staying here, so it might start to look like we were stalkers. We had a quick look at the kitchen in the dark and while tasha was checking out the sink (who knows what for, sea monsters or something), Em saw a massive movement under the counter and we both freaked out, running out the door when she realised it was a huge crab?!? how random!! like a sideplate sized crab (the side plates we have at home anyway..). After this we had a quick laze by the beach and discovered the sun sets really early over here. it was low in the sky by 3! Went back to the hostel for a questionable shower and a read. Some guy who worked there was offering tasters of the meat they were serving that night for Mexican night and it was really tasty..half way through our mouthfuls we asked what it was and he was yabbering on about chillie this and salsa that and peanuts... AND PEANUTS? tasha practically spat this meat at the man haha (not quite, but might as well have done...allergies!) and rubbed down her tongue while he looked absolutely mortified. Death count Zero still however. We ended up having the mexican dinner to share which was really good, lots of refried beans, guacamole, meat, galla pinto and corn on the cob. Got chatting to an English girl who wouldnt stop talking about dinnerplate sized tarantulas while Em was kicking her under the table. Tashas eyes were as big as dinnerplates by this point, Em was getting worried we might have to check into a hotel for the rest of the trip! This girl was travelling with her Mum for 7months (brave thing..just joking mummys!!) and we had a few drinks then headed to bed!!

Advertisement



19th October 2009

travelling with mummies
Now that sounds good - Jackie - how about it?! We could go out and meet them. I bet the would really like that!! xxxx

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb