Costa Rica Costa Lotta


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Playa CoclesPlaya CoclesPlaya Cocles

spent a bit of time here!
Cath:
Well we have spent our last few days back on the Caribbean coast at a little town called Puerto Viejo. I had my cast off and the xray looks good. I have been back to San Jose a few times for some harsh physio that made my eyes water - painful but necessary. Its a bit better each day..... although I'm told it will be 3-6 months before its 100%!s(MISSING)traight..... still, little victories like using a knife, opening doors, typing with two hands are all important!

We have not been too adventurous with our days other than visiting some lovely beaches, checking out more wildlife, dodging torrential downpours, and trying to convince ourselves we have seen toucans.

We have eaten very well here and found our favourite hangouts. My favourite being a cafe that plays the Cure, serves amazing coffee and homemade bagels, and serves rosemary roasties with scrambled egg (OK not very Costa Rican but hey!). Rich has managed to find the biggest lobster/crayfish in Costa Rica and for those that know him you will know he was a happy man that day!

We have hired bikes and cycled down the coast a bit checking out the little towns and beaches (not too wise with a dodgy arm but we were going stir crazy). The forest comes right down to the coast so you are cycling through keeping your eyes trained for sloths, just listening to the weird and wonderful sounds along with the creaking of your decrepit old bike!

We tried to get over the border to Panama but it turned into a bit of a farce. We were trying to get to Bocas Del Toro so Rich could do some diving (too many storms here mean his last outing was like "swimming in mushroom soup" yuck!). The immigration wouldn't stamp us out of Costa Rica or into Panama because we had new passports and so they didn't show the date we entered Costa Rica..... even with all the paperwork showing our tickets in and out of the country they were not having any of it.... even after help from local bribes and a word from our hotel.

Those two days are pretty typical of our experience here..... Costa Rica really is a stunning place but also incredibly infuriating.

Well Goodbye Costa Rica......... we are leaving on a jet plane, don't think we'll be back again. You took our bags, our money, at times our sanity, you even took a little bit of bone out of my arm. Pura bleedin Vida!

Richard:
Pura Vida is my new swear word ha ha ha. I get some funny looks and Cath gets a chuckle out of it. It literally means "pure life" but really means "cool" or "fantastic" and is the Costa Rican catchphrase or saying.

Since being here I have met so many people that have had their bags taken and 2 tourists that have been held up and robbed at gun point. Jim from "up State New York" was drunk and walking home with a girl in Puerto Viejo. They snuck up behind him and demanded his stuff. Now I have to say that I first heard the story from Jim and he painted himself as the hero type, selflessly giving his stuff up, arguing with them etc and saving the girl. A few days later I was told that Jim was not a very brave type at all. On night patrols on the turtle watch (which everyone does without too many scares) if any one mentioned poachers he would turn and start running for the ranger station. If they saw a light he was off. On the night he was mugged he gave them everything and even dropped his trousers and threw those over too !?! After robbing him they threw his watch back at him but kept his trousers!!

Another girl I met was robbed during the day on the beach she knows who the guy is and even pointed him out to the police. They did not do anything.

Pura Vida!

We are looking forward to getting to Ecuador and booking our Galapogas trip. I have been researching boats on the web and it just looks fantastic! We weren't too sure if we were going to go but we feel we deserve it now!

Cath: PS think I am going to get Rich a Pura Vida t-shirt as a souvenir.... think he will like it



Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb