Holy Snappin!


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My Friend and Escort on the ReefMy Friend and Escort on the ReefMy Friend and Escort on the Reef

While Jenny built a sandcastle in the black sand of Playa Negra, this canine stood sentinel. Then Jen sent her off to check up on me, and then I had a new friend.

My Friend and Escort on the Reef
While Jenny built a sandcastle in the black sand of Playa Negra, this canine stood sentinel. Then Jen sent her off to check up on me, and then I had a new friend.Travelling around this wonderful country has taught us some interesting things about ourselves, chiefly among which we are mountain people as opposed to beach people. Not that we don't like the beach, because it's great, but we feel more at home in the mountains. There just seems to be more to see and do. And it's cheaper.

The trip here was very neat, with waterfalls cascading down through the greenery along the roadside. Though it was tough to catch much of them as the bus careened along at a breakneck pace. We went through miles and miles of banana plantations, of the Chiquita, Dole and Del Monte kind. And smack dab in the middle was a Pilsen (local beer) brewery, plus some pineapple plantations sprinkled about for fun. We got our first glimpse of the Caribbean at Puerto Limon, and there we noticed the huge freighters going to port.

Our experience in Cahuita has so far been good, but
Oops, Too Deep!Oops, Too Deep!Oops, Too Deep!

After hopping in, she turned around and scrambled out... must have been too deep.
we're excited to be moving along again.

This morning we went fishing with Roberto, a local who is a fifth generation fisherman. It wasn't hard to see, as his second cast with a hand line he caught a smallish
Oops, Too Deep!
After hopping in, she turned around and scrambled out... must have been too deep.red snapper. In fact, he was the only one to catch anything worth keeping. He also served us fresh pineapple from his organic farm. MMMMM.

Jenny wasn't feeling well, and barely slept, but managed to do some good fishing, as she was able to equal my catfish (they look totally different than we're used to) catch in about half the time. Not that you keep the damn things, but fun to catch nonetheless. We both lost at least one good fish, but we'll never know what kind. Ah well.

At one point, Jenny pointed out a torso-sized stingray gliding along, and it sure was cool to see. Not so long after, I got a great tug on the line... wouldn't you know it, I'd hooked the ray! He got away, but truth be told I'm glad he did because it would have
Treasure CoveTreasure CoveTreasure Cove

A small dry spot nestled amongst the decaying reef, where I found tons of treasure. Nearly all itty-bitty, and very cool. Even small fossils.
been terrible to have to kill it if it was hooked too well. Sure put up a challenging fight though.

Not once, but twice, Roberto hooked a nurse shark. Very cool. We also had hooked two needle fish, one of which we kept, with huge jaws full of meanacing looking teeth. He said that they're
Treasure Cove
A small dry spot nestled amongst the decaying reef, where I found tons of treasure. Nearly all itty-bitty, and very cool. Even small fossils.great live bait for barracuda, though the extraneous amount of bones means they're a pain to fillet properly. They just salt them and cook 'em dry so you eat the bones. MMMM, calcium.

At one point, Roberto noticed a hawksbill turtle that neither of us gringos could locate before it went under again. A bit later, there was this curious little bird, which Roberto had never before seen, that would just hold out its wings and hop on top of the water like a helicopter... very cool. It was probably looking for our discarded bait sardines. I was going to try and get a photo but it just wasn't possible what with fishing rod and rain and all.
Nurse SharkNurse SharkNurse Shark

Roberto hooked two of these guys, one of which we basically watched searching for his bait.
On the whole, the US $50 each was well worth a day on the water casting a line. Even if Jenny was ready to feed the fish at any time. One can only look for seashells on the beach for so long before it gets dull (though we had a great haul for shells here too).

One of our favorite things here is this little restaurant that is closed Wednesdays, opens for breakfast and closes at 3 PM that serves
Nurse Shark
Roberto hooked two of these guys, one of which we basically watched searching for his bait.the most amazing crepes ever. They're probably 10" in diameter, and they fill them with different things like fruit, or chocolate syrup and bananas, or peaches and ice cream. Most amazing, and highly recommended... especially for when you consider they're less than 2,000 colones (~ $4). Even I was full after one and a bit. That's saying a lot.

For lunch we ate freshly caught blue jack... except for extra fixings it costs 2,500 colones... wait a minute, we just paid you a hundred bucks US and now we have to pay extra to have the fish cooked with vegies???
Roberto, un-threads the NeedleRoberto, un-threads the NeedleRoberto, un-threads the Needle

Needle fish, that is. With very sharp looking teeth. This is the one I caught, and he caught another... they´ve got more fight in the bite than on the line.

After lunch we´re off to San Jose for the night, and on to La Fortuna come morning. We decided that since we have about six days to play with we ought to go back to the place that has reasonable prices for food/lodgings, and with the most to do. And we certainly didn't get to do everything there, so it's back to La Choza Inn for us.

A big part of the reason was the family atmosphere at the hotel, and the abundant things to do (like the Rio Negro tour, and maybe some whitewater rafting), but
Roberto, un-threads the Needle
Needle fish, that is. With very sharp looking teeth. This is the one I caught, and he caught another... they´ve got more fight in the bite than on the line.also the hotsprings. We just know that there's a massage package waiting for us.

Hope everyone's doing well, and it'd be nice to see some comments (hint hint hint).

We never really thought we'd say it, but we kinda miss Calgary and our cushy life there. Go figure.

Pura Vida!



Advertisement



25th May 2007

Holy Needle Nose!!
Hello! What a cool looking fish! I am having such a great time reading all of your blogs and I even went to a travel agency to ask questions about doing something similar! It sounds like you are having such an amazing time, though I will admit... I am still squirming from the picture you posted of that snake a few blogs back... *shiver*. Keep blogging, it fills my boring mornings at work and is much appreciated!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!!!
25th May 2007

how time flies
if i must say so myself, i do a great job at procrastinating. almost unbelievable a month has gone by so quickly, but i neednèt remind you of that because i am sure the two of you would stay longer if you could. the whole trip sounds almost surreal with all you have done and experienced. mostly i am envious, but am very glad you did go and are sharing all your descriptive stories and pictures. the pictures all are very good with just a digital phone, and the commentaries are excellent. the country sounds amazing, and we will look forward for tips on what to do and where to go if we are that lucky. the smiles on your faces are great to see. hope you finish off with a flurry - canèt wait to see the rest of the pictures, hear the stories, and most of all have you back home safe and sound. take care. ed
26th May 2007

take what you want but eat all you take
remember this sign at a Vegas buffet, Dustin? oh well - sounds like the medication worked its magic. i've enjoyed your blogs a great deal and look forward to hear more details of your adventures when you get home. love,Shell
27th May 2007

Hey this great
Sorry that I haven't been answering any of your travel blogs let' just say that I was having teck difficulties. I'll explain when you get back. Great pictures and it sounds like you guys are having the time of your lives. Nice to be able to follow your trip and see some of the things that your doing, I had alot of reading to catch up on looks so beautiful there. look forward to all the stories and pictures when you get back. Love Dad

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb