Jesus Christ--It's a Lizard


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Monkeys right outside our backyards 20 secs
So after reading about all the crazy animals, reptiles and birds that are down here, I had two major goals for sightings: monkeys and a Jesus Christ lizard (so-named because it walks on water). Success on both counts--on our official river cruise and also back here at the house.

The river trip was very tame, but in a way it was very relaxing. After an hour and a half tour bus ride (air conditioned, thank God), we were delivered into the capable hands of Walter, our keen-eyed captain, we started down the river. One of the first things he/we spotted was a JC lizard on a fallen branch in the water. That little sucker, once he saw us, truly DID scurry across the water to shore. Amazing...and I was sad I couldn't possibly capture it on camera. But wait...a few minutes later we snuck up to another log and I tried to aim the digital camera in the direction I thought he would run. Success, as evidenced by the picture here.

Lots of birds...too much information about birds...but our guide Freddy really knew his stuff. We all felt like we were watching a National Geographic documentary. Our polite interest soon turned to real enjoyment as we saw lots of nasty crocodiles and then the ultimate bonus--monkeys. Two types were spotted, howlers (who were too lazy to howl and too high up to get pictures of) and white-faced/Capuchins. We reminisced about Marcel on "Friends" and how funny monkeys are. Kate wants one as a pet.

We had a great, real Costa Rican lunch (Nora decided she loved plantains) and headed back with a quick souvenir shop stop. Back at the house by 3:00, a new air-conditioned car was delivered, and we spent the afternoon doing my favorite thing--sitting in the pool on the floats we brought down, splitting a bottle of pink Prosecco we found at the grocery store (thanks, Dawna!). A favorite saying of our friend Valerie: "I wonder what the poor people are doing?" I feel like I did real work because I used the strainer to scoop some leaves out of the pool.

Then the best part of the day--monkeys, right outside the backyard of our house! I kind of heard them from the pool, and then went to look...an entire family taking a shortcut from town back to their home tree. Watch the video, it's awesome. I tried to take a picture of the girls with the monkeys in the background, but Nora thought she looked "gross" (well, didn't we all at this point?) and erased the picture. "B**ch" said Kate, and the Norman Rockwell moment disappeared.

I'm writing this on Tuesday morning. Mike has decided he will stay back at the ranch, so the girls and I will have an entire day bonding in the mud baths, volcano, etc. Watch for details!

Advertisement



28th July 2009

Love the stories
Keep them coming. Enjoy you time away.
29th July 2009

Very cool
Great journal Sue!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb