The Mirravales Rainforest


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Most of what you hear about as a "must see" in Costa Rica is the rainforests (after the monkeys, of course). Well, Tuesday was rainforest day for the girls. Mike wisely decided to stay behind, even though we were promised that the tour company would make it easy for him to enjoy. WRONG...there was not one part of the trip (other than the lunch, possibly) that the girls and I figured he would have enjoyed. But, we were completely overwhelmed by the scenery and rainforest. It even made an hour and forty-five minute bus trip over really rickety (purple?) roads worth it.

After a horseback ride from the base of the crater to the beginning of the forest trail, we began the climb. And what a climb...over a suspension bridge, up carved-in trails, through the woods, etc. Not much wildlife but the spectacular vegitation is hard to even describe. I told the girls that my top two natural wonders I've seen are this rainforest and Virgin Gorda in the Caribbean. I did a "bad mom" thing (and have the picture to prove it) and let Kate fill up a water bottle from the rushing stream coming down the mountain. The guide said it is pure water, but afterwards I had pangs of guilt that they would end up with some parasite that would take years to get rid of.

When we finished the trail, we were dropped off at the "rustic" spa, where there is a three-step process of steam in a cement hut, mud baths, and then soaking in a natural hot spring. None of us thought we'd really enjoy the mud, but it was very fun and dirty. And, Dawna, just for you I've included an "equipment shot" of the showers where we rinsed off the mud. There was a cat that also befriended Kate (what a surprise) that she wanted to take home.

A long, bumpy ride back and we took a dip in the pool and then went to dinner. I think everyone was asleep before 10:00, because we're going fishing/snorkeling tomorrow.

Wonder what the working people are doing?



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



31st July 2009

Wow!
great pictures! never knew you could look so dirty Sue! :) we miss you :(
31st July 2009

wowsa!
love the showers!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb