some photos from 2008


Advertisement
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
[youtube=m2y_M40tmvg]Happy New Year Everyone!

Well enough people have mentioned to me that I haven't updated the blog in a long time... so here are a variety of random photos from 2008 with some stories to go along with them. Just click on the images to see it larger or read all the text. Also I posted some interesting videos and information below.

Love to all... Tanya

*********************************************

Below are some great videos and information about important but not so well known issues and my input of course.

😞Garbage Island - posted below
A giant floating island of trash in the middle of the ocean... out of sight, out of mind. So sad!
Each year, three times as much rubbish is dumped into the world's oceans as the weight of fish caught.
I hope this year, more and more people will start to realize that the trash we create doesn’t just disappear. Let’s be conscious consumers and please follow the 3 R's... Reduce, Reuse and Recycle - it really helps!!

😊This is a great explanation of what makes conservation so difficult, especially in places like Costa Rica where so few people know what the marine ecosystem was like 10, 15, 25, 40 years ago…. Pristine Slideshow

😊My close friends and family know that each year I ask them to try to make more sustainable choices, especially when it comes to eating seafood. I hope some of you will look into this. Check out sustainable seafood options and download the wallet size card available at this website to help you decide Seafood Watch . Those of you that live internationally will need to think a bit and ask around, a good hint is that if it is the most expensive choice on the menu (like lobster in many regions), it is probably difficult to get which could mean it is overfished.

😞This is taken from an article from CNN in 2006... not good, especially if you like seafood:
If current trends of overfishing and pollution continue, the populations of just about all seafood face collapse by 2048, a team of ecologists and economists warns in a report in Friday's issue of the journal Science. "Whether we looked at tide pools or studies over the entire world's ocean, we saw the same picture emerging. In losing species we lose the productivity and stability of entire ecosystems," said the lead author Boris Worm of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Choose to be part of the solution!

Why care about the ocean??? Some things to think about this year...



Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Best Wall in CocoBest Wall in Coco
Best Wall in Coco

The side of Rich Coast Diving was painted on World Oceans Day by Carlos Hiller with the help of local kids.
Red TideRed Tide
Red Tide

Photo from Ocotal of one of the large Harmful Algae Blooms, Red Tide in this case, that have been affecting the area.
Red TideRed Tide
Red Tide

Photo of the beast moving in at the surface at Punta Argentina
Earth Day Ocotal Earth Day Ocotal
Earth Day Ocotal

Earth Day Event with kids from San Blas. I often invited kids from different schools in the area to come to Ocotal to learn about trash and the oceans. An article about beach trash from a cleanup in September http://www.amcostarica.com/092308.htm
Future ScientistFuture Scientist
Future Scientist

This girl found every worm, crab, creature etc, that was on the trash the divers picked up from below the boats.
Shark!Shark!
Shark!

It's ok Mariana...
Jonnie Cat showing off her woundJonnie Cat showing off her wound
Jonnie Cat showing off her wound

In July I almost lost my beloved Jonnie Cat from a dog attack. After a 2 hour surgery, 24 stiches and over a month recovering, she pulled through and is her sweet self again - only now a very nervous kitty.
huh?huh?
huh?

Mantequilla can't figure out why this lamp shade is following her
SistersSisters
Sisters

Kila took great care of Jonnie Cat while she was sick and even bathed her since JC couldn't do it herself.


7th January 2009

wow!
Tanya, you've been very very busy! i will definitely explore more sustainable seafood options. love your video of your video--sarah mclaughlin is always moving! hope jonnie cat is fully recovered and enjoying life with you in miami!
7th January 2009

Oh, I miss Johnny cat..............I am glad she has good home. Take care of her and good luck on your studies. Brenda
13th January 2009

hola desde Tikicia!
Hola Tanya!! desde aki te envio un gran abrazo! nos haces falta en costa rica!
31st January 2009

mi gemela, How wonderful to hear from you! Hope all is wonderful! Let me know when you are heading to the mountains of Colorado!

Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb